Beaulieu 6008S for dialogue film (too noisy?)

erikgrou

hey

i want to shoot a film with dialogue and looking to purchase the right super8 camera.

(i'm using a minidisc recorder to get the dialogue)

i know i can have the beaulieu 6008s converted to crystal synch but will the camera still be too noisy to film dialogue scenes with it?

recommendations?

• Premium Member

Yes, the 6/7/9008 is on of the loudest Beaulieu cameras, and also one of the louder ones out of the Top cameras listed here.

I worked with it on a short film that used both sepmag (with crystal-sync'd 1/4"-Tape) and commag (15m & 60m cartridge) and without a barney or blimp, it is pretty much unusable for interiors; and with a cushioning barney, it can be somewhat silenced for exteriors if the background noise is relatively lively (street noises, background actions etc.).

The problem is that the 6/7/9008-series resonates a tad too well with its Lexan casing, and has a low running noisem thus adding insult to injury. The Beaulieu 4008-series was a better proposition by Beaulieu in these respects, with a higher pitched noise and metal casing being easier to silence.

Having said all that, most Super 8 cameras aren't as silenced as 16mm shoulder cameras are. Even 16mm handheld cameras like the Beaulieu R 16 are less noisy. The least noisy cameras are indeed Nizo sound cameras due to their belt-driven motorisation, plus the belt-driven version of the Bauer S 715 XL microcomputer (there was also a direct driven version that is louder). I know that some people object to the Nizos being silent, and they have a point in comparison to other cine-format cameras, but within the Super 8 market, they still are rightly regarded as one of the least noisiest.

Hope that helped a bit,

-Michael

• Premium Member
Yes, the 6/7/9008 is on of the loudest Beaulieu cameras, and also one of the louder ones out of the Top cameras listed here...

...I know that some people object to the Nizos being silent, and they have a point in comparison to other cine-format cameras, but within the Super 8 market, they still are rightly regarded as one of the least noisiest.

Michael, you're killing me! I read your guide to the best gear and how you could have neglected to get your hands on an Elmo 1012S-XL and include it on the list is beyond me...6008 Nizo? Wow, ok then.

I can attest that the Elmo 1012s-xl is probably the quietest Super 8 camera in existence that isn't a Nizo x0xx.

• Premium Member

Hehe, I knew you would chime in here B) , and as I don't know that cam, I will certainly not disagree.

To be honest, Sankyo sold badly in Europe, and I ever only encountered one Sankyo in my life. When I say "sold badly", I don't mean because they are not good or so, just that European manufacturers had a stronghold on the EC market, whereas the US market saw a much greater exposure to Japanese cams then in Euroland - the only Japanese manufacturer that had noteworthy marketshare and presence was Canon, and that was due to their distribtion system in retail for their SLRs.

Particularly sound cams from Jap. manus sold almost not at all here, certainly on the Continent (UK market was more diverse, I gather - didn't live here in the S8 golden days).

So much for not getting it tested: the Gods know we tried to get our hands on those listed at the end of the cam guide.

Yes, the sound Elmos are pretty quiet compared to most others. They had that reputation and it was a big selling point for them. The sound Nizos get noisier with age and lack of CLA.

I always got the impression that Elmos were big in the U.K and USA but rare in Europe.

For a starter camera the big black sound Elmos can't be beat. They always seem to work, and the 612/1012s have that mechanical auto exposure override that works no matter the condition of the meter. They're all over the place, too.

But they don't sell. I found a beat-up 1012 at auction that the seller wasn't sure about, but it worked, and it went for only $10.

• Premium Member
But they don't sell. I found a beat-up 1012 at auction that the seller wasn't sure about, but it worked, and it went for only $10.

Yeah, I know. I paid $280 for mine to be imported from Germany because I really wanted on of these and couldnt find ANY on eBay for like a month. Then two weeks after I got mine, I'm now the high bidder for one of two listed on eBay and my bid is only $50.00. Isn't that life for ya? Oh well, if I can have two, that would be awesome.