The best camera

alan mourgues

Hi folks. I?m an independent producer, building my own company, which will be devoted to HD. I´m straggling in the decision of what to buy. SONY F900R, upcoming PANASONIC Varicam2700 an Silicon Imaging SI_2K appear to be my favourite options. To start with, I have to choose ONE camera and obviously the full pack of related accesories. The business at the beginning will be renting the pack to the local producing companies (for movie making and publicity advertising). I´d really appreciate some help to sort out thi issue. What would you choose to start running your own company ? It doesn´s have to be necessarily one these three, but any one you think it may be a good business asset.

thanks very much for your help

• Premium Member

That's a pretty broad question, and hard to deliniate. If anything I would say lighting and the like woudl be far more rentanble than a camera package. I mean, hell, every production needs light, but not everyone needs and F900!

For cameras, the REDs are pretty hyped right now, and a low cost camera to build a package around (17.5K for the body as opposed to the 150K a F23 costs, for example). But I would worry that their rental rate is highly inflated right now.

Might be smart/worthwhile to call into other rental houses and see what their biggest renting camera is, ya know? People in your area.

And also, you need to figure out what your needs as a company are and what clients you're going after. The people who would use an HVX are not the people who would use a F900, are not the people who would use a D21, for example.

just my opinion