speed change effects

bragis chut

Hi everyone:

I'm prepping a short film project and we're trying some really fun stuff, like sudden speed changes in the middle of the shot. Has anyone done any tests on anything like this? What we're trying to do is a series of shots of someone working at a desk, stamping forms, and while the camera pushes slowly in, we show him in super-fast motion stamping forms, almost like a time-lapse effect. His arms are a blur. Then suddenly, when we're in tight, we go ultra slo-mo, or possibly even freeze frame.

We're going to do some tests (without the camera move probably) to see what we're up against, but if anyone has any fun ideas or suggestions and pointers, please let me know. Would love to see if anyone has examples of similar stuff. Thanks!

--Bragi

• Premium Member

I worked on a shoot that did exactly what I think you're talking about, a couple of weeks ago. The finished shot looks like a constant-speed tracking move, but the action appears to speed up. This was done on a motion control crane whereby the move started off at normal speed, with the camera running at 24fps, but then with a synchronised in-camera speed ramp and slowdown of the tracking move such that the action appeared to speed up, but the camera move remained apparently constant.

You can do this as an exposure-compensated speed ramp if you don't want to move the camera; if you do, I cannot think of a solution not involving motion control.

P

hi!!

i suposse oure not have the budget for a motion control so...

you can do it in postproduction ramping the speed of the shot

or you can do it on camera. if you have a k-3 you can do it moving the speed knob.

bye!

G.T

Hi everyone:

I'm prepping a short film project and we're trying some really fun stuff, like sudden speed changes in the middle of the shot. Has anyone done any tests on anything like this? What we're trying to do is a series of shots of someone working at a desk, stamping forms, and while the camera pushes slowly in, we show him in super-fast motion stamping forms, almost like a time-lapse effect. His arms are a blur. Then suddenly, when we're in tight, we go ultra slo-mo, or possibly even freeze frame.

We're going to do some tests (without the camera move probably) to see what we're up against, but if anyone has any fun ideas or suggestions and pointers, please let me know. Would love to see if anyone has examples of similar stuff. Thanks!

--Bragi