Sign in to follow this  
Todd Whalen

Sci-Fi Lighting for High Definition (XDCam F335)

Hello, I am a student at Vancouver Film School in pre-production on a High Definition short film. I am seeking any extra helpful hints or tricks in the area of lighting for this format and filming style.

The look we are going for is like "Minority Report". Strong backlights, lots of blue/white/silver colours, blooming highlights, de-saturated colour.

I am aware of White Pro Mist filters and/or Bleach Bypass after effects to help create this, and with that in mind what should I consider when designing lighting setups?

We're shooting on the Sony XDCam F335 shooting at 1080progressive 23.976fps with 1/48th shutter speed.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Hi,

Look is something we achieve through the combination of lighting,sets,costumes and post.Here,what I have understood from your query,is that I would suggest you to do sufficient tests regarding how much highlights F335 can handle and all the other necessary latitude tests(black levels,saturation,color temp: etc).Once you are done with these,then you will be able to figure out the extremes at which you can blast a back light or punch in contrasty lighting and how much color can be added while shooting.Anyhow the look has to be augmented to a greater extent in the production design and costumes too.The rest you can always tweak in the post.Happy shooting...

Ratheesh Ravindran.

Edited by Ratheesh Ravindran