Film ranks 2nd WORST college majors

I know we have had this discussion here many times, but I couldn't resist:

Why It Won?t Help You Get a Job: No one in hollywood gives a poop that you made a short film about an alcoholic albino that discovers the meaning of life through the help of a retarded child. Unless that retarded child was played by the son of Harvey Weinstein, your film or degree will be as pointless as the last three seasons of Lost

http://www.holytaco.com/2008/06/03/the-10-...college-majors/

• Premium Member
No one in hollywood gives a poop that you made a short film about an alcoholic albino that discovers the meaning of life through the help of a retarded child.

Ah shucks! That is what I was going to make my film about. I guess I'll have to sell my camera and film on eBay... :unsure:

• Premium Member

now I have to sell my albino slave actor and return the handicapped child I kidnapped from the orphanage.... AND the degree I am getting is worthless!!!!

damn it...

bad day for me... :D

Didn't read the article, so apologies if this is in there, but what is the 1ST WORST???

It's Religion. But really, the reason for majoring in religion is to be able to teach in a college religious studies department.

For a long time I've been thinking of film degrees as the new English degree.

English Lit is listed as 7th worst.

There's no consistency between film programs. San Francisco State's program was intended to turn out film educators not filmmakers. My niece tells me the film instructors at Temple's Tokyo campus are lame, metaphorically. Most film departments probably aren't very different from English lit departments, hteir goal being to enable the students to discuss movies at dinner and cocktail parties.

It's Religion. But really, the reason for majoring in religion is to be able to teach in a college religious studies department.

Whatabout all of those devoted entrepreneurial religious majors intent at starting their own inner-city Baptist Churches or secluded polygamist cults out in the middle of nowhere? ;)

At least our major isn't the bottom of the barrel.

Quite hilarious and well written.

I must however object to the picture they chose for "religion."

Mormon missionaries do not get paid, need a degree, and they only do it for two years. On the other hand it's a spoof list and intended as a joke so in that sense, it's funny.

R,

Why It Won?t Help You Get a Job: No one in hollywood gives a poop that you made a short film about an alcoholic albino that discovers the meaning of life through the help of a retarded child. Unless that retarded child was played by the son of Harvey Weinstein, your film or degree will be as pointless as the last three seasons of Lost

That's awesome. However, he forgot the part about how the albino and the retarded kid go on a cross country road trip in a beat up Winnebago. And of course, it has to have a hip, post-modern sense of irony, and feature lots of subplots with characters who intersect, or "crash" into one another. And all shot in GRITTY hand held!

Best,

BR

That's awesome. However, he forgot the part about how the albino and the retarded kid go on a cross country road trip in a beat up Winnebago. And of course, it has to have a hip, post-modern sense of irony, and feature lots of subplots with characters who intersect, or "crash" into one another. And all shot in GRITTY hand held!

Best,

BR

• Premium Member

Gad. Those are like... most of my favorite subjects :unsure: !

But I'm glad I didn't major in some "practical" subject, 'cuz I would have had to blow my freakin' brains out years ago from the B O R E D O M.

I have a customer that hires college professors. He was relating to me how much they had to pay to hire some hotshot Business prof-- it was a very big number. So how much do you have to pay for an English professor I asked... "Oh, they cost next to nothing, the supply is HUGE" he replied.

-Bruce

Whatabout all of those devoted entrepreneurial religious majors intent at starting their own inner-city Baptist Churches or secluded polygamist cults out in the middle of nowhere? ;)

A lot of them have a direct line to God, so they don't the intermediation of the Virgin Mary or a college degree, except for some business classes.

Pat Robertson: man of God or business man cornering a specific market?

If you're an idiot, you're going to be an idiot regardless of your college major. So as a young kid going to college with a desire and a vision, I recommend that you study what YOU want to study and have a passion for.

And don't listen to some shmuck on the internet telling you that American Literature or Film is a "stupid" educational path to follow. (I mean, who wastes their time working on a web site telling you what NOT to do? While they themselves are writing for web sites, 99% of which could be written by monkeys?)

So youngsters, you got a whole, hopefully long life in front of you where people are going to tell you what to do and what to be. Follow that advice and you'll be miserable.

My best buddy growing up in the whole world...youngest brother of three brothers whose BOTH parents were Holocaust survivors...wanted to be an actor, and he performed in High School and College. But he was ORDAINED to be a doctor like his brothers had also become, by mandate of his parents.

That little decision to abandon his passion back then still haunts him, his huge house and nice cars aside.

Those are just things you "have." They're not who you "are."

• Premium Member

Or a film about a child beauty queen who makes a cross-country trip in a VW van filled with a dysfunctional family?

Oh wait! It's been made - won two Oscars, two BAFTA's, and a Noble Foundation prize.

I find the film industry to be very elitist and quite ignorant of educational value. At my university we are using industry standard equipment, being taught by industry professionals, gaining much experience and taking advantage of the college links (rental houses, BBC, ITV etc.)

I'm completely happy I am at university as I wouldn't know half the amount I know now if I didn't. That goes for both theory and practical, but mainly practical. That's just from one year.

To be honest, if people are rendering educational credentials as useless, I think it says more about them and the amount of people they have worked with, as there are so many graduates in the industry. It just comes off as arrogance thinking you are above these courses.

That little decision to abandon his passion back then still haunts him, his huge house and nice cars aside.

He He, and that's the point isn't it :D

R,

• Premium Member

The guy's got a lucrative day gig. There's nothing to stop him from giving it another shot. He could even buy himself a Red camera.... ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

I totally disagree with this. I use to go to a Baptist church where the Pastor was a Doctor of Theology. He made $120,000/year and said that his salary was pretty common for someone of that level of education. He also said he had no problems finding another church if this one let him go. In fact, he ended up leaving and going East and made more money there.

I would say about 8/10 PhDs in Theology (as least the ones I knew) ended up with good jobs as either Professors, Pastors, or Chaplains. Can you honestly say that 80% of film majors end up with good jobs?

He He, and that's the point isn't it :D

R,

Richard, I'm not kidding, because I missed it--what's the point ? As long as you have the house and cars, it's cool?

And John, once you have a medical practice in Greenwich, Connecticut (or anywhere), you can't just dabble in acting. It took him at least 10 years working as a doctor (probably more) just to pay off his student loans. And by that time, at that age, forget it.

And Matthew--going into the "clergy" is the easiest and highest paid way to get into acting that there IS. They have to come up with a new word for what most of THOSE guys actually do.

As George Carlin said, "God needs MONEY--but you have to send it right now."

• Premium Member
As George Carlin said, "God needs MONEY--but you have to send it right now."

LOL, I don't want you to misunderstand me Ira. I wasn't talking about religious fakes like televangelists. Granted, some of you may feel that ANY person who goes into ministry is a fake, that is hardly the truth. I was referring to pastors of local churches and people who genuinely believe what they teach. I personally think that George Carlin was no different then the religious harlots he would criticize. Indirectly, they both had in common that they made money from religion. Carlin just did it through controversally opposing religion. I'm not trying to turn this into a theological debate, just mainly wanted to point out that I wasn't insulting religion with my previous post. I was more trying to show that having a theology degree can still be a wise career move depending on what you want in life.

Guest Glen Alexander
LOL, I don't want you to misunderstand me Ira. I wasn't talking about religious fakes like televangelists. Granted, some of you may feel that ANY person who goes into ministry is a fake, that is hardly the truth. I was referring to pastors of local churches and people who genuinely believe what they teach. I personally think that George Carlin was no different then the religious harlots he would criticize. Indirectly, they both had in common that they made money from religion. Carlin just did it through controversally opposing religion. I'm not trying to turn this into a theological debate, just mainly wanted to point out that I wasn't insulting religion with my previous post. I was more trying to show that having a theology degree can still be a wise career move depending on what you want in life.

Carlin didn't oppose religion per se, only the idiotic contradictions within the dogma itself. He wasn't anti-religion, just anti-stupidity. My .02.

"All the biggest, most bloodiest, wars fought over because my God has a bigger d__k than your God."

• Premium Member
Carlin didn't oppose religion per se, only the idiotic contradictions within the dogma itself. He wasn't anti-religion, just anti-stupidity. My .02.

Carlin wasn't against religion? Here is a quote from Carlin: "When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. "

I think that is against religion...even per se.

To be honest, if people are rendering educational credentials as useless, I think it says more about them and the amount of people they have worked with, as there are so many graduates in the industry. It just comes off as arrogance thinking you are above these courses.

You've got it backwards its not that people in the industry think they are "above" the courses, its that they know students are "below" practical experience (and they are right).

I take issue with english lit not being #1. There has been a HUGE glut of English PHD's in the US for 2 decades now!!!

What is sad is that many of the majors on the list (philosophy, English, Art History ) are those that require critical thinking skills. But thinking doesn't make you any money right?

• Premium Member
But thinking doesn't make you any money right?

Nope, you're more likely to make money as an MBA that comes up with a new sheisty quasi-legal pyramid scheme wrapped up in the form of a business opportunity...like the Reverse Funnel System! :lol: