AKIRA

Jason Maeda

I didn't see any mention of this film anywhere else in the forums, but according to a couple of my friends it's in production, full steam ahead.

I'm wondering what direction the look will go, and how close to Otomo's vision you plan on staying.

Congratulations, btw.

I didn't see any mention of this film anywhere else in the forums, but according to a couple of my friends it's in production, full steam ahead.

I'm wondering what direction the look will go, and how close to Otomo's vision you plan on staying.

Congratulations, btw.

Yeah, you should put up an akira blog or site or something maybe. Is it still on track for 2009? Because it seems fast.

My friend tells me it's set in New York, but with a Japanese influence. I saw that Ghost in the Shell is in pre-pro for a live action remake as well. There is no way they are going to leave all that dialogue intact. Probably more of a dumbed-down, "Matrix" style plot-line.

Regardless, there is potential in these two projects to do some very interesting things in terms of cinematography and cgi.

• Premium Member

Hi Jason,

I heard it was set in New York as well which has to be a huge concern, because in Akira one of the main themes revolves around nuclear weapons and the aftermath. It sort of turns into a different thing if it's from the American vs. Japanese perspective! I'm sure Ruairi has thought long and hard about it so I'm interested to hear his take on this.

My friend tells me it's set in New York, but with a Japanese influence. I saw that Ghost in the Shell is in pre-pro for a live action remake as well. There is no way they are going to leave all that dialogue intact. Probably more of a dumbed-down, "Matrix" style plot-line.

Regardless, there is potential in these two projects to do some very interesting things in terms of cinematography and cgi.

As a huge fan of GITS, I pray to god they don't f#ck up that movie. Who is slated to direct? What they need is a really smart indie director who has a real passion for Ghost in the Shell, not some off-the-shelf hack director they have in their stable. Are they going to do Innocence as well? I mean, that movie just recently came out.

I give Warners props for handing Akira to our friend Ruairi instead of some "tried and trusted" gun for hire. Look what a good job Favreau and Nolan have done with their projects. Do you think some random director could have pulled off the resurection of Batman?? No way.

BTW, Ruairi, I might have missed this info, but have you guys decided on a format? 35mm? Digital?

As a huge fan of GITS, I pray to god they don't f#ck up that movie. Who is slated to direct? What they need is a really smart indie director who has a real passion for Ghost in the Shell, not some off-the-shelf hack director they have in their stable. Are they going to do Innocence as well? I mean, that movie just recently came out.

I know this is the Akira thread, but I just wanted to whole heartedly agree here. I'd kill to do my version of GITS.