Hellboy II: The Golden Army premiere

• Premium Member

I went to see Hellboy II: The Golden Army tonight and I didn't know what to expect. I saw the first Hellboy and I liked it but I didn't know in what way this movie would be a "sequel." When I arrived at the cinema I noticed that it was going to be a blockbuster because I ended up outside of the door wrapped around the building in a line. Once in the megaplex, there were quickly no seats left for a party of greater than two. I was hoping the movie lived up to the hype.

From watching the movie, I realized that Del Toro seems to really be maturing as a Director. The original Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth were good but they didn't seem to hit me like this one did. I was awestruck by his method of storytelling and at the depth he gave to what I thought would be just another silly summer movie. Del Toro made you question who was the good guys and who were the bad in the scheme of things. You cheer Hellboy on as he fights the "bad guys" but then Del Toro shows you that maybe we are the bad guys and we don't even appreciate the fact that the "hero" is fighting his own for our sakes. In addition to being surprisingly thought provoking for a summer movie, it had some great camera movement, wonderfully intense sound, and action that made my skin crawl. And if all of that wasn't enough, you have the witty red character back with more sarcastic quips then ever. All in all I think it was about the best way for me to spend $10 on a friday night. I recommend this movie to anyone who can just relax and have a good time. I'm sure some film snobs could tear it apart but it sure brung out the kid in me.

BTW- I was invited to a Pre-screening of "Kids in America" with Topher Grace, Anna Faris, and Michelle Trachtenberg this Wednesday. I'll give my synopsis on that when I get back from it that evening.

The wife and I were on the fence for this, as the trailers look damn good, and we both loved Pans Labrynth, but were afraid of being let down after Hancock (good movie, just not as good as we'd hoped).

I don't see how Hancock is relevant, in comparison to a Del Toro film

I really liked the first Hell Boy, and I'm REALLY looking forward to this one :)

There was some improvement I think over the first one, but overall I wasn't very impressed.

There were some good moments here and there, but there were also some not so good moments and the acting rang a little hollow a number of times for me. The direction wasn't smooth and the orchestration of the charcters seemed poor. Motivations were all over the place and no one but HellBoy seemed to stay true to character, or to have any substance. Predictable and a bit of an anticlimax.

There was some decent cinematography and I enjoyed the colors. The CGI/effects seemed inconsistent and that opening scene...I thought it was terrible.

The editing was generally good, but there were times when I saw/felt that they needed more coverage and the poor editor/s was struggling to maintain forward momentum.

I would like to see a third film maybe; focussed on HellBoy as I won't miss the other characters.

Just my 2c,

K.

• Premium Member
There was some improvement I think over the first one, but overall I wasn't very impressed.

There were some good moments here and there, but there were also some not so good moments and the acting rang a little hollow a number of times for me. The direction wasn't smooth and the orchestration of the charcters seemed poor. Motivations were all over the place and no one but HellBoy seemed to stay true to character, or to have any substance. Predictable and a bit of an anticlimax.

There was some decent cinematography and I enjoyed the colors. The CGI/effects seemed inconsistent and that opening scene...I thought it was terrible.

The editing was generally good, but there were times when I saw/felt that they needed more coverage and the poor editor/s was struggling to maintain forward momentum.

I would like to see a third film maybe; focussed on HellBoy as I won't miss the other characters.

Just my 2c,

K.

Did we watch the same movie? Well, I guess opinions are like you know whats eh? I think this film was far superior to the first film which was already good. I think Del Toro knew exactly what he wanted from this film and he got it. You are right in the regard that Ron Perlman was probably the most developed performance from the first. I thought the Cinematography was great, mainly for the choice of camera angles used. If I had one beef at all with this movie, it might be that the drinking gag between Hellboy and Abe went on a bit long IMO. The fight with the Earth Elemental was killer though and it ranks on my top three action movie moments of all time along with:

1) LOTR:Return of the King when the Witch King ascends atop Minus Morgul and his army is revealed.

2) POTC 2: Jack Sparrow pulls out his sword and takes on the Kraken right before being "killed."

I will most likely go see this movie again. Del Toro is one of the best Directors out there now IMHO.

2) POTC 2: Jack Sparrow pulls out his sword and takes on the Kraken right before being "killed."

That shot's only memorable for me because it was so poorly composited, worst shot in the film, ha ha

Saw Hellboy II today, I really liked it and also felt the performances were generally more natural. Selma Blair's wasn't too great, but I always like watching her no matter what.

I really enjoyed the story too, quite imaginatiive with some great mythology that I could sink my teeth into.

• Premium Member
That shot's only memorable for me because it was so poorly composited, worst shot in the film, ha ha

LOL...The reason why I'm glad I'm not an all out Cinematographer is this very point. Because you can't enjoy movies anymore, you just break it up into shot composition and lighting and whatnot. When I watch a movie, if I have the suspension of disbelief going, I'm not really caught up in what "shot" they did. It's the moment of the movie with the sound and music and everything working in tandem to create a feeling that makes it memorable. No offense to any Cinematographer, but if you turn a movie on mute, they all suck no matter how great the cinematography is...that's just IMHO.

PS- I know that last comment is going to get me flamed. :o

No offense to any Cinematographer, but if you turn a movie on mute, they all suck no matter how great the cinematography is...that's just IMHO.

Put 'Potemkin' or 'Metropolis' on mute. What's the difference?

That can actually improve some movies.

The great and crusty Sandy Mackendrick said that should be able to follow a well made movie with the sound off.

Some movies, '2001' and 'Ivan the Terrible' come immediately to mind, are visual music.

It's not just a collection of individual shots. Bit how the images flow together.

It's like a symphony. Even with out the Phillip Glass score, 'Koyanasqattsi' is mesmerising.

Because you can't enjoy movies anymore, you just break it up into shot composition and lighting and whatnot.

Not true, I spend probably 99% of my movie viewing time totally engrossed and involved in the story and cinematic glory of film. There is always that 1% of me that focuses on quality control, and there are many things I ignore and swiftly forgive, but when there's something THAT bad, it stands out. You just happen to mention the one thing in POTC2 that erk'd me, ha ha

btw, if it to a point where you can't enjoy a film and spend most of your time exploring its faults...it might be time to take a break.

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

I wasn't huge fan of the first Hellboy, but I liked the visuals enough to see what the second one would be like. It was OK. I didn?t find myself sympathizing with characters all that much. The story was typical of a superhero flick. BUT, it is what I expected from a summer flick, so it?s not like I was disappointed. The romance angle in the film was a bit too much, but I could tell the filmmakers were having fun with it (at least some parts). I didn?t love it like I loved Iron Man, but I think I dug it more than Indiana Jones.

I didn't mind the CGI, actually. With the nature of the story, it did not feel out of place to me (ahem - Indiana Jones).

Guillermo del Toro ranks up there with visual directors like Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Baz Luhrmann and Chan-wook Park. You definitely expect to see awesome production design.

Selma Blair isn't classically pretty or anything, but she's damn sexy. I think it's the eyes.

Put 'Potemkin' or 'Metropolis' on mute. What's the difference?

I watched some Metropolis from PAL DVD lately and was tempted to mute it as I found the non stop orchestral score going on and on distracting and drowning the images. It's supposed to be the original music but I really prefer the solo piano version of it playing with the film, or no music.

Edited by Michel Hafner