Vistascope anamorphic lens attachment for 16mm

Has anyone ever used the Old Delft Vistascope anamorphic lens attachment for 16mm camera? These are mid-50s lens attachments are based on the huge Delrama systems that uses 2 prisms to create the squeezed anamorphic image rather than the tube style anamorphics used today. I only recently became aware of this system and bought a 16mm f=600cm Vistascope (apparently they also came in 8mm sizes) lens attachment:

Vistascope16mmanamorphiclens1.jpg

Vistascope16mmanamorphiclens2.jpg

Vistascope16mmanamorphiclens3.jpg

I was wondering about the quality and The little lip there on the front with what looks like a some kind of spring bar, I'm assuming thats for filters to be set in, but I'm not sure and I doubt if this one comes with the instructions. I know the 16mm versions cam in both 1.5 (the same as the 8mm) and 2x aspect ratios and that the 2x are virtually impossible to find (WHICH if this is one of those, I'd be ecstatic). I was going to use this to screw around with for anamorphic composition and for Del Norte' to use (though I don't have a de-anamophic viewfinder attachment for this) but CONSIDERED using it with some of my Lomo OCT-18 mount lenses on the Konvas KSR-1 as the lenses are small and almost the size of a 16mm lens so they might work. I have the 100 and 135mm lenses in spherical in addition to the rest of the standard set and am looking to find more as I can afford them. I can also use the OCT-18 lenses with an OCT-19 mount adapter on the Kinor 35C Rotovision 5000 (BOTH of which I DO have a de-anamorphic viewfinder for!). IF the quality is decent (AND that's probably a BIG if) I might be able to use this in conjunction with the Lomo round fronts I have for close up lenses. I would LOVE to even FIND a 100mm and 150mm round front but that's not in the cards right now so I'm thinking if the image isn't that different, color quality (This I doubt) and otherwise when attached to the Lomos, why not give it a shot. My only reason for hope is that back in 1955, these attachements went for $65 for the 8mm and $125 for the 16mm which SEEMS expensive for 1955. Anyway I didn't pay that for it and it wouldn't have mattered if I did, according to the 1955 ad, it will save me 50% in film stock.......BECAUSE.......I DON'T have to pan as much!!!!:

vistascope-magad1.gif

Any info would be helpful. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member

The problem with all these front mounted anamorphics is that due to their small size, your severely limiting the field of view they can accept. This means that it won't accept any wide lenses at all and then you're back to square one, which is you could just as well have stuck a 35mm anamorphic lens on to start with. Although this one seems to have a 1,5x squeeze factor, so you might get away with something slightly wider. My guess is that nothing below 15-20mm in focal length is going to pass through it.

Be nice to hear how it works and what lenses it can accept.

Has anyone ever used the Old Delft Vistascope anamorphic lens attachment for 16mm camera? These are mid-50s lens attachments are based on the huge Delrama systems that uses 2 prisms to create the squeezed anamorphic image rather than the tube style anamorphics used today. I only recently became aware of this system and bought a 16mm f=600cm Vistascope (apparently they also came in 8mm sizes) lens attachment:

I was wondering about the quality and The little lip there on the front with what looks like a some kind of spring bar, I'm assuming thats for filters to be set in, but I'm not sure and I doubt if this one comes with the instructions. I know the 16mm versions cam in both 1.5 (the same as the 8mm) and 2x aspect ratios and that the 2x are virtually impossible to find (WHICH if this is one of those, I'd be ecstatic). I was going to use this to screw around with for anamorphic composition and for Del Norte' to use (though I don't have a de-anamophic viewfinder attachment for this) but CONSIDERED using it with some of my Lomo OCT-18 mount lenses on the Konvas KSR-1 as the lenses are small and almost the size of a 16mm lens so they might work.

Here's the USPatent:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=g_pQAAAAE...ges&cad=0_1

This is the 1.5X model. My brother found a 2X model, C=2, at a Goodwill for $5.

The 2X looks more like the one in the Popular Science article:

popsci-homewidescreen7a.jpg

I knew a couple of people who had the 1.5x model, C=1.5. It seemed sharp. The big problem is that the focus is fixed. The"f=600cm" is where the focus is set at, it gives a full figure with a 25mm lens.

If you're stopped down in that bright texas sunlight, you should be able to get in close.

The patent tells how to readjust the focus, but it's not something one can do in the field.

You're right about the spring clip. I think 2x2 filters. The mounting thread is Series VI. The thumb screw tightens it on the series adaptor.

It's quite easy to adjust to shooting with a squeezed image.

Those Kowa 16H/8Z anamorphs that frequently pop up on eBay are decent and ought to work on a 100mm or 135mm lens in a pinch. Having to focus two lens at once is a hassle, but a bit easier on a longer lens.