Is it my age ? or what i want no bullshit answers .

John Holland

Lets just hope that Obama getting in (and not having a kennedy done on him) might just mean that we miss out on the recession and it all goes back to normal.

-quote-

The President has very little to do with the economy... we aren't voting in a King! The US has a three Branch Gov't and blame and our Countries progress or (lack of) should be spread evenly. This idea that Obama is gonna 'Change' or 'Fix' everything is very naive. Not surprising as most Liberals are 'idealists'. The things you CAN count on with Obama are a bigger more wasteful less effective Gov't... leaving less money in your pocket... and a resurgence of terrorist attacks on home soil.. Change You Can Count On!

And now for something completely different "I love emulsion". :wub:

• Premium Member
This idea that Obama is gonna 'Change' or 'Fix' everything is very naive.

Well, maybe not everything ..... But if he wins, he'll have a congress of his same party, which'll give him the opportunity to get stuff thru for the first two years. Depending on how that stuff develops, whether he pushes too much, he may or may not get a repeat of the 1994 Gingrich thing in 2010. Since you love emulsion, think of that as a sort of political stop bath. ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

It's not your age. Freya's comments are accurate on two counts - people want a DP who radiates experience, especially on increasingly rare, expensive film jobs. And yes, it comes down to having come up through a proper industry when there was a proper industry to come up through. The people you're competing with - even right down to people like me, though I'm not anywhere near the same league - wish like hell we could just go and be an AC with a good prospect of moving up over the next decade. It's not that we'd not happily do it. That career path simply does not exist anymore, so you do what you can to scrape a living.

And scrape you do. I've just had the worst year ever - alarmingly bad, take-a-day-job bad at its worst, with two or three big long term bread and butter jobs not happening for reasons directly related to the wider economic situation (or at least perceived economic situation). These thoughts are echoed by people I work with. Location managers and 1st ADs are now part-time landscape gardeners; grips are part-time bricklayers (both real examples).

This is not helping us retain our reputation for good crews.

Personally I'm trying to branch out a bit but the only stuff that really makes use of what I can do is terribly high risk.

P

• Premium Member

On top of these scary not-just-rumors that are starting to pop up locally, the Whirlpool Appliances plant has announced that it is closing. That's 6% of the jobs in my town. I'm too old and too ugly to turn tricks and the few remaining custodial jobs at Ole Miss will now have 1,200 people competing for them.

• Premium Member

I've been busy the last 3 years, but last 2 months have been quite quiet - this I also have from many other people in the business. I feel there's some anticipation for a recession perhaps and everyone is a bit more cagey. Time will tell.

Probably pretty much a wash. If ever there was a time for a third party, this is it.

-- J.S.

I was just saying this yesterday, their politics are so similar that I was surprised that in this, of all elections, there wasn't a stronger 3rd party option. Its regrettable American politics are so locked into a two party system.

Hell, I just want to get out of the way from nuclear bomb that Iran or North Korea's going to drop on us, if he gets elected... I don't care who's living in Canada at that point.

And I don't speak spanish nor do I want to deal with the economy of Mexico.

If I were ever to move to Mexico in plans of escaping the politics of america, I wouldn't be concerned with their economy, but more with their women, beer and beaches!

But Serge we [uK] are supposed to be a part of the EU , I take it you must be or have a French background ? .If this country hadnt followed the US like a puppy dog we wouldnt be in the state we are in and its only going to get worse . Yes please lets have Mr Obama .

Well John I am, as some would say, a true european.

I have Portuguese, English, French, Scottish and Prussian background. Born in London raised in Lisbon, Portugal.

I believe we have been shackled to the US since the mid 1950's due to the loans from the US to rescue our economy. We still owe them $2trillion dollars?

Although John (Sprung) reckons that Obama's appointment is not going to improve things internally, on the outside, my impression is that we all believe that he will improve things. Or maybe John(Sprung) is a republican at heart..... :ph34r:

Guest Stephen Murphy

John,

Its not you mate. Ive had the quietest 6 months of my career. In my case ive had a few jobs fall through, been put up for a few others and not even gotten an interview, sent untold reels into people who then "went in a different direction". Ah well. Couple of jobs on the horizon but nothing concrete. Maybe we should meet for a pint and form a support group:)

This year's been quiet for me too. Music videos have all but dried up, Drama is just the same old faces grabbing all the work, and even commercials seem to be in the doldrums. I think it's partly the economy, and partly the open European Labour market increasing competition for what little work there is.

Guest Stephen Murphy
Stephen you know i am always up for a pint [or two] so if i can scrape the train fare to London would be nice . john .

Right so. Pick a date between now and next thursday and lets arrange something in the London Sub Forum (or DP Support Group).

• Premium Member
I've been busy the last 3 years, but last 2 months have been quite quiet - this I also have from many other people in the business. I feel there's some anticipation for a recession perhaps and everyone is a bit more cagey. Time will tell.

You have no idea how much I love naturally occurring "qu..." manifestations. Now, if you could have said, "quit quite quietly..." I would have proclaimed you the "King of Kwu."

I'm sorely tempted to argue some of the political opinions laid out here but I'll do my best to stick to film...

This summer I've had as many bites on music videos as the last few. However, way more projects are falling through and the budget numbers are smaller. Before summer started I was just making my way up into the next budget bracket and early in the year I shot my biggest budget video to date. Then, a scant few months later, the landscape looks more bleak and the numbers coming down the pipe are barely enough to scrape a crew and a camera together...

Evan W.

Edited by Evan Winter

I am also based in London and think that a London sub forum sounds like a great idea.....

Although my hair is not grey to the point of being considered an experienced individual in my field, I am starting to get a few grey hairs....does that mean that I will start to get more and better jobs?

Edited by Serge Teulon

We're allowed to talk politics here? And people from across the pond are saying that both U.S. presidential candidates suck? Even though we've heard this same old tired argument FOREVER!?

Folks, the simple choice of electing a new president IMMEDIATELY affects economic conditions, even before the guy is sworn in and does a damn thing. I lived through the Jimmy Carter years, and things IMMEDIATELY improved under Reagan:

They improved economically (Wall Street was on fire in a good way), and Americans started feeling good about themselves again.

And the same thing happened when Clinton beat Bush One, so this has nothing to do with party affiliation. It's psychology.

Yes, it DOES matter who is elected, because nowadays, economics is largely based on confidence anyway. And the incredible thing about the U.S. economy is that it can turn on a dime and democracies and economies by their very nature will always have their ups and downs.

Now if we could only get off this damn oil fixation, things would be PERFECT. They can't grow a single ear of corn in those countries, so let's see how long they last eating their crude for breakfast.

• Premium Member
And people from across the pond are saying that both U.S. presidential candidates suck?

Actually, I'm here in LA.

You're right that there is a substantial emotional component to the economy -- especially in the short term. If it's big enough, the feelgood thing might carry you three or four quarters. But fundamentals still matter more in the long term. A major eff-up such as a tax increase can kill that. Maybe time to get ahead of the curve, and start printing "Impeach Obama" bumper stickers.... ;-)

-- J.S.

John thank you for pointing out to Ira where you live , was going to but couldnt get up the energy . I do think everyone should have on there details thing where you are in the world , it would make replies easier a lot of the time ?

Guest Glen Alexander
Hello everyone i finished my last job yesterday have nothing in the pipeline [ which is quite strange ] i really need to know the state of the "Industry" from other members . I am in UK but rest of Europe and the States ? Signed worried , John Holland. ps. please be honest .

John, if you were in/near Los Anges in mid-Aug, I'd have very interesting work for you.