I´ve got it! Arri 2 medical

Matej Pok

Hi guys,

now I can say, I´m lucky man :D

Friend of mine yesterday told me: "Wait, now I remember, I´ve got one camera in vault. Let´s take a look"

My friends father take camera from one hospital to their vault about 20 years ago. And they don´t really know, what it is. So I as a "professional" among ordinary people (:rolleyes:) got it for free! :P

I have to say, I´ve got only 8mm and 16mm cameras (Eclair NPR, Bolex el) till now.

Camera was in great shape- fully working,without fungus, without lens, with one 200ft magazine and some old film inside.

And I discover, it´s some pre-Arritechno version of Arri 2 convert for medical purposes from factory.

Serial number 8285 on camera. Arri standart mount. No viewfinder and shutter disc is not reflex.

I´ll attach photos in next few hours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Wow, that is a strange one. There's no viewfinder mounting at all, it's not just that the finder is lost. That plus the single lens hard front makes it look like it was designed to be installed in some piece of equipment where there was no room at all to the left of the camera. It has the good cardioid cam pulldown, though.

Perhaps someone here can recommend a camera technician who could give you a price on putting it into shootable condition.

-- J.S.

Sory for the delay. Now I work as a Asistant of Production on one movie, so I don´t have time to anything :rolleyes:

here´s the link:

PHOTOS

Awesome! Looks like a great camera. Almost new! Should be a fun project, it'll be exciting to see what you do with it. Are you aiming to have a reflex viewer attached now somehow? Or could you find a zoom lens that has its own viewfinder attached? (Like a 35mm version of those old SOM Berthiot Pan-Cinar lenses for 16mm cameras...)

Viewfinder will be the biggest problem...

ve got one technician at my Film University, so he could done overhaul and re-glueing. Changing power connector and re-assebling of trigger, can I do by myself... but viewfinder :angry: ... I write to Cinematechnic.com and they answer they can change it to completely functional IIc, but it would costs about 4-5k $ :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: hahahaaaa I can buy TWO new from ebay.

I would probably use it as a mounted camera- without necessarity of throug-the-lens view.

• Premium Member

You can get an old Mitchell viewfinder off Ebay and attach it to the side. It won't be precise but will probably be close enough. Your focus jerk will just have to know what he's doing.

It also just occurred to me that I've got a Berthiot zoom with the pellicle viewfinder built into it. That kind of thing might be a viable solution for you.

It could also work as a crash camera.

-- J.S.

That would surely ruin the pretty white paint job! :P

The lens with built in viewfinder seems the way to go. Some (if not most) of them lose light that way though, so gotta be careful with exposures.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

That would surely ruin the pretty white paint job! :P

The lens with built in viewfinder seems the way to go. Some (if not most) of them lose light that way though, so gotta be careful with exposures.

Actually some of them compensate the stop for the light loss, but I can't remember which ones. Berthiot may . . .

That 200' magazine has me intrigued.

The standard ones I remember used to have plastic cores on the rawstock supply spindle (the film was wound on plastic cores) and another on the take up spindle. They were fiddly to load and lace up 'cause of the tight fit inside the mag.

The magazine pictured seems to have the rawstock on a metal flange with a thin spindle fit? Perhaps the hospital technicians bulk loaded the rawstock from large 1000' loads.

I gather the cameras were used to photograph directly off early cathode ray tube displays connected to medical equipment of the day to keep a permanent record of the patients disposition.