Need to Make Nature-type film

Paul Maher Jr

The scenario is this; I want to make a film using many natural images, lit in dusk, dawn, afternoon, in the forest, mountaintops, on a pond, swamp, a collage of images related to the life of Henry Thoreau. I will shoot this myself. The end result is to sell HD-DVDs with the profits going to a non-profit agency (Walden Woods in Concord, Massachusetts). I will be editing this on Adobe Premiere Pro. I can raise up to $9,000 for this camera. So, in your best judgment, what is the best way to go?

Thanks, paul

• Premium Member
The scenario is this; I want to make a film using many natural images, lit in dusk, dawn, afternoon, in the forest, mountaintops, on a pond, swamp, a collage of images related to the life of Henry Thoreau. I will shoot this myself. The end result is to sell HD-DVDs with the profits going to a non-profit agency (Walden Woods in Concord, Massachusetts). I will be editing this on Adobe Premiere Pro. I can raise up to $9,000 for this camera. So, in your best judgment, what is the best way to go?

Thanks, paul

for that price range i would go with this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5632...DCAM_EX_HD.html

but then you wouldn't have any money left for sticks. you could go for the EX1 and save around $2K that would go towards sticks and other accessories.

for that price range i would go with this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5632...DCAM_EX_HD.html

but then you wouldn't have any money left for sticks. you could go for the EX1 and save around $2K that would go towards sticks and other accessories.

Thanks.

I will add more money toward what I need for accessories

• 3 months later...

well if its dvd output you could try out the cheaper sony z1 and panasonic hdv cameras. the canon's are the best but a little pricey. for the shots you have mentioned, which are mostly wide landscape's, a z1P (or Z1U) will do the job pretty well. they record on the good old mini dv tapes and the footage is compressed to a good enough standard for you to work on in post production.