Setting the correct F stop on an Elmo C300

Hello All,

Here is my situation: I have a Honeywell-Elmo Tri-Filmatic C300 Double Super 8 camera (it has just been totally over hauled and checked out by Super 16 Inc). At 24fps the Elmo has a shutter speed of 1/60 of a second. It has a TTL metering system and shows the F stops in the viewfinder (F stops can also be set manually if need be). The problem is I will be shooting with some Kodak Ektachrome 100D and the ASA setting on the Elmo doesn't have a 100 ASA setting. It has 125 or 80.

I got out my Sekonic L28C light meter and replaced the lumisphere with the lumigrid to get a reflected light reading (to match the way the Elmo takes the reading). I can set the Sekonic to the proper 100 ASA. It has a guide for 24fps (the manual says that the Sekonic defualts to 1/50 of a second for 24fps).

I took an outside reading with the Elmo (set at 24fps but at 125 ASA, the film is really 100 ASA). Then I took a reading, of the same subject, with the Sekonic and the readings are so close that I don't really think it makes a difference. It looks like less than half an F stop difference if that.

My question is: do you think I would be safe to set the Elmo at 125 ASA (the film is really 100 ASA) and go with that F stop? Close enough?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

• 9 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

ASA is always detected by a notch on super 8 cameras.

Ohh and the stocks of the day were Kodachrome 25/40 and Ekachrome 100/160.

There are to "markings" to determine the speed. One is a little lever and one is a little button. I'm not sure which one does what, but that's how it worked.