eFree8

Michael Ryan

Hello All,

I know this is a shameless plug, but the program (eFree8) is aimed at independent, Super 8 filmmakers and is free to those that have their project picked.

You can find out more about the program by going to www.thefilmwhisperer.com and clicking on the independent filmmakers section.

In a nutshell, just pitch your Super 8 film to us in a 100 words or less and every month we will pick one filmmaker to have 100 feet of Super 8 or regular 8 reversal film transferred for free. You can read the complete details on the website.

It's a nice way to show support for independent Super 8 filmmakers on a micro budget. For projects we accept, we will even transfer camera test footage.

Mike

www.thefilmwhisperer.com

I would try that but I need 450' transferred. I'm trying to figure out how you could shoot a short film on 100' of stock unless you are shooting a super short or doing a "straight eight" style of filmmaking.

Hello Matthew,

The main goal of the eFree8 program is to help independent Super 8 filmmakers. We have to balance that with also making money (mainly from customers who are transferring their family "home movies"). We had to pick a starting point, so 100 feet was something that we could could work with. However, we really do believe in the eFree8 program and for the right film (that we felt passionate about) we would transfer more than 100 feet.

Matthew, you have got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Give us your pitch. All things are possible. Good luck.

Mike

www.thefilmwhisperer.com

Before I submit an email, I have to ask...can you transfer at 24fps?

Hello Matthew,

Our equipment transfers at 20fps, we can then deinterlace and convert to 24fps in post. I think this gives very good results (although some would debate this point).

Matthew something else to keep in mind is that while there are many Super 8 cameras that have a 24fps speed on them, most if not all of them don't actually shoot at that frame rate unless the camera has been modified by a professional (crystal sync'ed).

It is possible to sync up the sound in post, but the sound will begin to drift after about 10-20 seconds (then you will have cut from the speaker and then sync up the sound again). But it can be done.

In the next few weeks we will have an example of this "wild sound" sync'ed up with some footage that was shot at 24fps.

Mike

www.thefilmwhisperer.com

• Premium Member

True that you need to be crystal synced to guarantee 24fps. The one trick that works quite well for me is to double slate. Then I can compress or expand the audio to match the slates. Then if necessary (usually isn't) you can use a pitch correction utility. I think I'll just go with a RANK transfer since there is an issue with the 24fps.

Thanks anyway though.

While I'm doing a silent for my piece...

Can you handle A+B rolls?

Hello Nate,

Yes. For those interested in the program it would be good to go our website www.thefilmwhisperer.com and check out the complete rules (click on the independent filmmaker section). To enter the program you have to pitch your film to us and there is only one monthly winner.

The program is aimed at micro budget filmmakers to help them reduce the costs of the transfer or on a short film to cut out the cost completely.

Mike

www.thefilmwhisperer.com