My new cinematography reel for dramatic projects

Randy Che

Randy, your reel looks good to me, one thing I've noticed, action sequences, running shots, fighting look a little contrived, I suppose it's directing, more dynamic camera moves could emphasize urgency, abrupt change of pace...

Loved engagement ring shots!

Do you shoot all stedicam yourself?

Keep great work coming...

Edited by Oleg Kalyan

good work

the only thing i might consider is, because it's a dramatic reel, i would play the scene more to show how i cover it and light it for

the story and the mood.

now it's like music video the shoot look good but with out dramatic context

I would say, if you can afford it, buy a domain and host the videos yourself. Youtube quality makes not only the resolution suffer but I feel like it flattens out the image so much. If there ever was a time to not host something on youtube it would be a cinematography reel because you are trying to sell yourself based on the quality of the image which is suffering greatly because of youtube compression. If buying a domain is not an option I would suggest playing with different compression and gamma settings and then uploading them to youtube to see how to best compress your reel for upload to youtube. Check out this article: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/you_t...redux_gary.html

Randy, overall, you've got a really nice reel. It does feel a little long for my tastes though. Maybe try cutting it down to around 2 minutes instead of three and a half.

Other than that, I agree with Garret that you should try to host the video yourself, rather than have it on YouTube. At the very least, put it on Vimeo, which doesn't compress video nearly as bad as YouTube.

Randy, overall, you've got a really nice reel. It does feel a little long for my tastes though. Maybe try cutting it down to around 2 minutes instead of three and a half.

Other than that, I agree with Garret that you should try to host the video yourself, rather than have it on YouTube. At the very least, put it on Vimeo, which doesn't compress video nearly as bad as YouTube.

I thought it was a great reel. Everything looks very good except one thing pops in my head. It's just too wide for me with the footage you have. Everything is very tight and it looks severely cropped. It looks like it was shot 4:3. I would say with the footage you have I wouldn't keep it so wide. It loses it's composition when you can never see the top of someones head. Sure you don't have to always see the top but the rule of the thirds is not in effect either because of the footage that would never fit in that aspect ratio. That's just my opinion I know 2:4 looks amazing but you can't force it. Other than that I thought it looked amazing.