Agent Questions

Hey everybody, hope everybody is doing well in the film world today.

I've got a few questions about agents, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Are there agents for writer-directors? If I want to direct what I have written, can agents help in this area?

2. As a director, what do I need to get an agent?

3. As a writer, what do I need to get an agent?

4. Are there any stories about how you got an agent that would be helpful to the rest of us?

5. Is it worth pursuing?

Thanks again for the help. These message boards are lifesavers.

1. Are there agents for writer-directors? If I want to direct what I have written, can agents help in this area?

Yes, and yes (assuming you have an agent that reps both directors and writers, with an interest in developing indie writer-directors).

2. As a director, what do I need to get an agent?

It really depends on the agent. But, in general, a body of work. Remember that a professional relationship with an agent is based on mutual benefit. The agent needs to know that she/he can make money off of you, and you need to know that you'll get more work through the agent than on your own. As a result -- in one of the sad ironies of the business -- most people don't find an agent until they're earning money without one.

3. As a writer, what do I need to get an agent?

Here you've got it a bit easier. Writers' agents only need a finished killer screenplay that they can sell. To be honest, you'll likely have to let the first couple go without expecting to direct them yourself if you go this route, and then trade on your clout as a successful writer to insist on being allowed to direct one.

4. Are there any stories about how you got an agent that would be helpful to the rest of us?

Can't help here...

5. Is it worth pursuing?

Absolutely, but not to the exclusion of other avenues, if that makes sense. If you find doors are closed, don't beat your head against them. Keep working, keep building your experience and your name, and try again later. Eventually the doors will not only be open, the agents will by vying to drag you through them.