Lighting for shadows

Hi, i'm lighting a back wall of white material. The subjects are causing shadows to be cast on the back wall. They look good. But problem is, I also want the back wall lit, so when they are lit I lose most of the shadow. I don't want to interfere with the soft skin tone i'm getting from the main lights.

So do I.

A) Film the scene lighting the back wall and make the shadow darker with post production effects or add another shadow altogether (is that even possible for a natural shadow look with the subject constantly moving?)

B Film the scene with shadow and make the wall brighter in post, perhaps with overlapping footage, or some other way?

or

C) Any other option available?

Edited by Gary Douglas

• Premium Member

I'm not sure if I understand your problem. Is it that the lights you are using to fill your subjects are also filling the shadows on the wall, and you would rather the shadows on the wall stayed dark?

• Premium Member

If you don't want to fill the shadows on the wall, you have a few options of varying usefulness:

1.) Don't fill the subject.

2.) Get the subjects further from the wall.

3.) Fill with a light that falls off quickly so very little of it hits the wall.

4.) Fill the subject from a different direction that would allow you to cut the fill off of the wall entirely.

5.) My choice: a combination of 3 and 4.

For example, you could fill from a higher angle with a kino. Leave the eggcrate on and use some larger solids to cut as much of the fill off of the wall as possible.