Flares in Usher's Love in this club

Oliver Ojeil

I don't know as I haven't seen the video, but possibly with a lens filter, possibly in post.

Could someone please move this to the "On Screen" forum? I think that'd be the most appropriate spot for it, or maybe in "Lenses and accessories". . .

• Premium Member
Hey John, I think there is something a little bit more to it than just a light shooting straight to the lens. Usually the flares aren't as dramatic and visual.

I think it's just usual anamorphic flare, like John said. The anamorphic element in front is that makes the horizontal flare.

Just found it on You tube its shot anamorphic thats the flares you get when you shoot with lights straight down the lens.

Couldn't have been John. There have been some definitive statements made here that no music videos have the budget to shoot on 35mm anymore, so it must be true since it was posted on these fora :rolleyes:

Hey, fist time posting on this forum. So, ummm.... please be gentle. :P

No budget for 35mm? Right (you were kidding weren't you?).

While I have no personal knowledge of what they used on the Usher shoot I have worked with this filter in the past and achieved similar results:

http://www.vantagefilm.com/file/pdf/equipment_24.pdf

Quite pricey as I remember but pretty convincing.

I believe there are some old threads discussing this topic somewhere on this forum.

Just watched it...its hard to see on youtube, but you can point out other anamorphic qualities in the video that proves that they used anamorphic lenses. That's probably how they got those flares. They MIGHT have enhanced it more in post but they definitely shot anamorphic.

We are shooting S16mm. We ended up using a brushed silk filter in order to achieve those flares. What came out more interesting is that most highlights had this flare in them, it was a matter of tweaking on set afterwords. I'll post some stills as soon as I finish telecine.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...