file for PAL version

Thomas Cousin

hello,

I am looking for the equivalent of a certain scene file for the pal version of the panasonic sdx900.

the scene file "eyeball" on the panasonic website is interesting because its settings are made "to match a monitor to a chroma DuMonde chart by visual reference and not by use of a vectorscope". i find the idea interesting and a base to start with.

but i can only find the NTSC file for this, and i don't think that certain matrix and color correction settings are suitable for pal. it seems to correct certain minor color shifts for ntsc, but if i apply this to a pal camera, it's not appropriate. in my opinion. maybe i'm wrong.

so, maybe someone can correct me if i'm wrong, or help me to set theses matrix tables for a true neutral color rendition . but for PAL cameras.

thank you

thomas

Hi Thomas,

The files on the Panasonic site are for an NTSC camera. I don't know that anyone in Europe has done the same thing that we did here. I felt that if I could get people close to a starting point they would have courage to take the camera to where they wanted to go. That was what these files are about, a starting point.

So you are right, I believe, in that ,the color that these settings would produce would be incorrect and frankly I don't believe that these will be read by a PAL camera. But then we did only save the color and paint menus.

So perhaps a call back to Panasonic Europe and they may be able to refer you to someone.

Best regards,

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thomas,

I'm from Singapore and found the scene files to be unusable too, but actually, there's a way to 'tweak' these scene files for the NTSC machines. What I actually did, was copy a scene file from my SDX900 and paste it on to my computer. The scene files are text based, so editing them isn't that tough.

The first three lines are the most important part to the scene file as they dictate what the camera reads. So simply, what you could do is this...

'NTSC' scene file:

Card Ver 1.01-00

AJ-SDX900

M Ver 0000.1

From there, edit the text file's first three lines to this.

'PAL' scene file:

Card Ver 1.00-00

AJ-SDX900/D908

M Ver 0000.1

I cannot gurantee if this works for you as my camera originates from Asia. What you do, in case my edited text file doesn't work, is to actually save a Scene file onto a SD card and check the file's first three lines. If they are actually different, then modify the DOWNLOADED 'NTSC' file's first three lines like the example I have given above with the scene file from YOUR SDX 900. I hope it wasn't too confusing :)

Regards,

Jac

Edited by Jac Kee

• 1 month later...