Removing Film Guides From K3

Ira Ratner

I must have read the pitiful manual from that NY store specializing in K3s a thousand times, and based on what their graphic artist did (who should be shot), I couldn't understand at ALL what they were graphically pointing to as "film guides."

I've read it's better to lose the thing(s), because it can scratch the film, but I visualized two little straight thingies just sticking up to wrap the film around before feeding. But now that I've studied the guts a few days, are they talking about that curved black plastic piece? Or two pieces? Can't tell if it's one piece or two.

If this is the case, I also remember instructions somewhere on removing them.

So can you spare a 16mm moron a moment of your time?

Are you talking about the "loop formers"?

If they are working properly, and retract when that 'button' gets pushed down, there is no need to remove them.

If they don't retract properly, then you have to fix or remove them.

Loading with loop formers:

Loading without:

• 1 month later...
Thanks, Dominic. I'll check those links right now.

I haven't tried to load it yet, and I'll be going over Curtis's thread right now with my other questions, since he and I are in the same boat.

Ira, Sean here. I also have a K-3 in my stock pile and I just recently pulled the loop formers off mine. After all these years, the little piece of string seems to have loosened enough that the loops weren't completely opening and the film was getting pushed slightly when the supply reel spun I guess. The note is right that it is easier to take apart than put back together. There is a small gear under the plate that has to line up but follow the directions and just "feel" for it to catch and it will drop in.

Shot a roll of 250D this past weekend but haven't sent it in yet. Previous footage shot with it came out needing some stabilization in Avid after TC. Hopefully that corrected it all.

S.

Ira, Sean here. I also have a K-3 in my stock pile and I just recently pulled the loop formers off mine. After all these years, the little piece of string seems to have loosened enough that the loops weren't completely opening and the film was getting pushed slightly when the supply reel spun I guess. The note is right that it is easier to take apart than put back together. There is a small gear under the plate that has to line up but follow the directions and just "feel" for it to catch and it will drop in.

Shot a roll of 250D this past weekend but haven't sent it in yet. Previous footage shot with it came out needing some stabilization in Avid after TC. Hopefully that corrected it all.

S.

I haven't shot a single frame yet--will start in a few weeks.

I'll see what happens after my first two rolls, and then make decision about wether to yank them.

I'm not the most mechanical guy in the world, and whenever I forget that fact, I mess things up.