Video lenses

Rachel Oliver

• Premium Member

Olly,

Since no one is jumping on this, let me share my experience with the 14x Manual Focus lens compared to the stock lens on the XL1S, it may be similar to what you are asking. The 14x lens is MUCH sharper than the stock 16x lens. The drawbacks, the manual focus lenses from Canon (14x and 16x) do not have the Electronic Image Stabilization that the stock autofocus lenses do. There is also some weirdness when shooting in 16:9 with the 14x on the XL1S, you cannot properly set the back focus on the lens, so in 16:9, you lose the extra sharpness that the 14x lens gives you. I do not know how this will work with the XL2, since it has real 16:9 in the chips, not the electronic anamorphic of the XL1S.

-Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

Hi,

I evaluated it a lot and almost bought one. It's basically that ubiquitous Fuji 14x ENG zoom with all the up and downsides that has. I found the iris ring to be more than usually sloppy, but that might have been an individual fault. It breathes a bit. It isn't internal focus. The wide end still isn't wide enough, since it was really designed for 1/2" chips. Even pretty basic ENG lenses like the Fuji S20x6.4 are considerably better than this lens.

Phil

Hi;

Thanks for the info fellas, Tim after some more research it seems the 14x and 16x manuals have less of an edge in sharpness over the newer stock 20x with it's fluorite element but of- course this is not my main point of interest as I'm looking for something with "normal" markings and focus as opposed to the wierd endless ring thing. I saw a film shot with the XL2 and the 16x manual which seemed to cover 16/9 with no probs so I assume this has been cleared up.

Olly

Hi;

Phil, If you were interested in an Xl2 but wanted a more proffesional lens than the stock 20x what would you do? After your post I looked up your Fuji lens and the price is actually not to bad, but thats not including a B4 adapter, other than a magnified field of view due to the smaller CCD's (I assume?) could this be a viable option or would you say the 16x (14x replacement) would overide the differences as it's designed to be used with the XL range.

Thanks for any insight into the deep dark world of corporate documentary ;)

Olly

• Premium Member

Phil,

I wonder if you and I are talking about the same lens here. I think you may be referring to the Fujinon lens that was adapted by Optex to work on the XL1. I am referring to the Canon 14x lens that was adapted by Canon to work on the XL1. When I was researching this in late 2001, before I bought the camera and lens, I found the lens that Canon converted in their Canon Pro line of ENG lenses. I do not remember the model number at this time, and I am not sure it is still in their Pro line, but it is definitely a Canon Pro line ENG lens that I have for my XL1S. And mine does not exhibit the problems you are referring to.

-Tim Carroll

PS: Phil, I was digging through my old records and I think I found the lens. From the best that I can tell, from what I wrote down three years ago, it was the Canon YH14x7.3PJ 1/2" zoom lens that Canon converted to become the 14x Manual Focus lens for the XL1.

Edited by TimCarroll

• Premium Member

Hi,

> If you were interested in an Xl2 but wanted a more proffesional lens than the

> stock 20x what would you do?

I'd buy a DVC-200. Which is what I did.

> After your post I looked up your Fuji lens and the price is actually not to bad,

> but thats not including a B4 adapter

Why would you want a B4 adapter? You talking about an XL mount adapter? I'm not sure such a thing even exists.

> other than a magnified field of view due to the smaller CCD's (I assume?)

Yes.

> could this be a viable option

Probably, if the adaptor exists. I'm not sure that the S20x6.4 would physically fit on the XL lens mount without hitting some other part of the camera, it's not small.

> or would you say the 16x (14x replacement) would overide the differences as

> it's designed to be used with the XL range.

If I were a particularly desperate XL1 owner I might buy one, but I'd have to be especially desperate. If I were up for making independent movies on miniDV here is what I would do. I would buy an XL2 (widescreen, yay!) and a mini35; the XL being the only camera which can use a mini35 without the horrendous zoom-on-adaptor dance of destruction that the DVX-100 is forced into. I would buy the CRT viewfinder and a decent monitor and look out for a good deal on a PL mount zoom. If I were stuck with an XL1 I would make that an anamorphic zoom. Nice solution. Pretty pictures. Cheap to post. I like.

On the other hand, if you're going to buy an XL1 for doing corporates, buy an XL1 and use it out of the box. It's a cheap camera; leverage its cheapness, don't blow a load of money on accessories and have the worst of both worlds.

Phil