i want perfect exposure

Gunnar Kaergaard

i read somewhere that the "mystery"-sensor has an ASA-sensibility equivalent to something like 320 ASA.

So I plan to adjust my light meter to 320, for next week's shot with a RED camera. The possibilities of shifting the ASA-values to 500, 1000, 4000 or even 8000 ASA is confusing to me. it is kind of tempting to set the camera to 8000 ASA and shoot my night scenes with no lamps, but it also seems fishy..

anybody has experience with outdoor night scenes with RED, and light and postpro? I mean, if I put the camera to 500 or 1000 ASA, am I really shooting 500 or 1000 ASA, or is it only pretending to be 500-1000, but in fact remains 320 heavily underexposed?

thank you!

tom

Manual is here: http://www.red.com/support

When you raise or lower the ASA you're really only affecting the metadata. I wouldn't push it past 500 ASA on an exterior night shoot. I'd try to stay as close to 320 as possible. That's just my opinion though, if I were you I'd test the exact shooting setup you'll be using to make sure that's the look you want.

Manual is here: http://www.red.com/support

When you raise or lower the ASA you're really only affecting the metadata. I wouldn't push it past 500 ASA on an exterior night shoot. I'd try to stay as close to 320 as possible. That's just my opinion though, if I were you I'd test the exact shooting setup you'll be using to make sure that's the look you want.

ok, thank you very much. i'll try to squeeze in a test..

t

A "mystery" sensor is a new one on me . Please dont get offended by this but are you sure you ought to be shooting anything next week what ever camera it might be ?

i meant of course the "12 Megapixel Mysterium Sensor", thought people here would get that. nevermind. i did get offended, though.

i meant of course the "12 Megapixel Mysterium Sensor", thought people here would get that. nevermind. i did get offended, though.

So you are offended because he doesn't know the name of the *chip* inside of a specific digital camera?

Should I get offended when people don't know that film has silver in it?

• Premium Member

Hey Tom,

Check this page out: http://prolost.blogspot.com/search/label/RED

I found it very useful in determining how to expose for the Red. It's a lot more complicated than I realized, but the author goes over some very helpful concepts. BTW, that's cine.com's Alex Worster holding the slate in that wedge test...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Higher ratings are just metadata that affect how the image is displayed. In extreme cases, you could go to 640 ASA, but remember that all the noise is in the shadows, so how noisy the image looks depends on how much you end up trying to lift detail in the shadows. If you light a little flatter and crush the blacks a little, the noise at 640 ASA isn't too bad, especially in the highlights. Otherwise, stick to 500 ASA max at night. You can also gain some exposure by using a 270 degree shutter, a half-stop more light.