Mitchell 16mm mods

Paul Bruening

• Premium Member

Hey Gang,

Can the gate be widened to S16 on this beast? I assume one of the pull-down claws and one of the registration pins could be chopped off. Do you think it will still work OK? I'm hoping someone has at least scrutinized the works on this unit. Experience with the mod would be better.

• Premium Member
Hey Gang,

Can the gate be widened to S16 on this beast? I assume one of the pull-down claws and one of the registration pins could be chopped off. Do you think it will still work OK? I'm hoping someone has at least scrutinized the works on this unit. Experience with the mod would be better.

Hi Paul,

Pirate motion control in London converted one themselves. I think Bruce offers a conversion IIRC.

http://www.pirate.co.uk/de/node/226

Stephen

I want to see about converting my 16mm Mitchell to single perf. There's just not enough double perf filmstock available. From what I can see removing the extra pins seem easy enough. It's the big sprocket where the extra rows of teeth have to be removed. At least it's one sprocket, everything else are guide rollers. As for Super 16mm repositioning the turret may be a lot of work as well.

• Premium Member
I want to see about converting my 16mm Mitchell to single perf. There's just not enough double perf filmstock available. From what I can see removing the extra pins seem easy enough. It's the big sprocket where the extra rows of teeth have to be removed. At least it's one sprocket, everything else are guide rollers. As for Super 16mm repositioning the turret may be a lot of work as well.

Hi,

Make sure you check which pin is the full size pilot pin & make sure it is retained, bearing in mind on a downshooter the camera is usually upside down with the film running backwards. (Causes confusion with keycode being on the wrong side & no's going backwards as well.

Stephen

I'm hoping I can find a technical manual on the 16mm Mitchell. I did see some data on the pin types in my old Cinematoraphy manual. I'll have to see how the pins are installed on the mechanism. Since they are symmetrical I would think if I had to I would turn the pin holders around to make sure I have the pilot pin as the one used.

• Premium Member
I'm hoping I can find a technical manual on the 16mm Mitchell. I did see some data on the pin types in my old Cinematoraphy manual. I'll have to see how the pins are installed on the mechanism. Since they are symmetrical I would think if I had to I would turn the pin holders around to make sure I have the pilot pin as the one used.

Hi,

I know on the GC you can actually unscrew the pins, I bought some on Ebay & was toying with the idea of installing 2 pilot pins as David Stump has done on one camera he owns.

Stephen

Hi,

I know on the GC you can actually unscrew the pins, I bought some on Ebay & was toying with the idea of installing 2 pilot pins as David Stump has done on one camera he owns.

Stephen

The pins on the 16mm are quite small. I thought I saw something that held the registration pins in, like setscrews or something. I'll have to take some time to inspect the mechanism closely. The pull down pins may not be as accurately made.