HVX200 VS HD200UB

Michele Peterson

I am in the market for a new prosumer level HD camera. I am trying to decide between the HVX200 and the JVC HD200. I will be using it to shoot some simple corporate videos and to use on indie video shoots that I get hired onto.

For me, it comes down to that I prefer the professional style/form factor of the JVC with the shoulder-mount and real (although admittedly not the best) lens. But I am debating about the HVX because it is currently in demand right now for what many (low budget) producers seem to want.

Basically I don't want to spend $5k and regret the model I choose, but I don't want to limit myself on jobs I could get hired on. What are other people's experienced with investing in cameras to aid in getting hired? I know a camera won't guarantee me a job, but is it something that is important enough to factor into my purchase decision, or am I wrong in my assumptions?

Panasonic's DVCPRO HD format has a higher mbs than JVC's HDV based technology. I prefer DVCPRO HD hands down any day. That said, shoulder mounted cameras and the possibility to change lenses are nice. And the P2 cards are not cheap either. I would say Sony's EX3 is the best of both worlds, but it is nearly $9K. Some of the Canon HDV cameras are nice -however, they are still HDV.

I would try to rent or borrow each camera you are considering and test drive it. Nothing beats that. And it is the only way to guarantee you will like it.

No matter what, you won't find a camera that is THE BEST ALL-AROUND CAMERA for everyone at any given time, and will remain so for years to come. A good rule of thumb is to buy the best camera you can afford that does what you need it to and will get you work.

Edited by Saul Rodgar