fuji vs kodak

bobby singh

• Premium Member

There are different-looking stocks in their own line-up, even multiple 500 ASA stock by Kodak, so it's hard to to make generalizations.

If you ignore the breakthrough in grain reduction of the Vision-2 line and only look at regular Vision stocks with normal contrast (ignoring the low-con stocks like 77, 84) and then compare them to the normal Fuji stocks (ignoring the low-con F-400T and the daylight-balanced F-500D, which has no Kodak equivalent)....

Then the Fuji line is similar to the regular Kodak Vision line assuming you are looking at the same ASA stocks. Fuji F-250T is slightly grainier than Kodak Vision 200T (5274) for example. Fuji F-64D is slightly grainier than Kodak 5245 (50 ASA). But in both cases the Fuji stocks are slightly faster so that might be expected.

I think the grain of Fuji F-500T and Kodak 5279 are comparable. The same goes for Fuji F-125T and Kodak EXR 100T.

Fuji is slightly less sharp or crisp (some might say less "sharpened" looking.) Fuji also has less underexposure latitude. It therefore benefits from some overexposure. I've never had a problem with Fuji because I never underexpose much anyway. But then I also overexpose the Kodak stocks.

Now once you are talking about the new Kodak Vision-2 line, it is much finer-grained than Fuji. For Super-16 work, this makes Vision-2 even more preferable over Fuji -- especially once the 100 and 200 ASA Vision-2 stocks are released.

Now once you are talking about the new Kodak Vision-2 line, it is much finer-grained than Fuji. For Super-16 work, this makes Vision-2 even more preferable over Fuji -- especially once the 100 and 200 ASA Vision-2 stocks are released.

Which is apparently going to happen next week.

• 2 weeks later...