Production Insurance for a Short Film

Do you happen to know if you can get insurance for a short 3 minute film? Shot in one day at two locations (One INT, One EXT)

Or insurance for JUST the camera? We're shooting a short film on August 30th, and we're having the camera on a car mount... the camera is owned by the DP who's a personal friend of mine, and I really don't want to accidentally break this camera and owe him $7,500, I'd rather cover my ass.

Do you happen to know if you can get insurance for a short 3 minute film? Shot in one day at two locations (One INT, One EXT)

Or insurance for JUST the camera? We're shooting a short film on August 30th, and we're having the camera on a car mount... the camera is owned by the DP who's a personal friend of mine, and I really don't want to accidentally break this camera and owe him $7,500, I'd rather cover my ass.

Brother, I know what you're going through. I'm looking for insurance for my upcomming shoot. I imagine nsurance isn't a huge percentage of a 30 million dollar feature budget: But it's a huge chunk of an indy short budget. Better safe than sorry, though.

What kind of home/renter's insurance do you have? Some companies' policies will cover stuff like that IF you pay to rent it. So, maybe your friend could charge you a low, low rental fee.If you don't have such a policy, check out non-film insurance companies that may cover stuff like renting equipment. I say 'non film" because I've found that if a company deals specifically with motion pictures-it will charge at least double what any other company would for the exact same service. In doing that though, MAKE SURE, that they understand what is going on. You don't want to end up breaking the camera or a crew member only to find out that you violated some loop hole in the policy.

There's a company called Film Emporium that I might go through if I don't find anything cheaper. The good thing about them is that they offer temporary services.

Does your friend have insurance on the camera? If so, maybe you could just pay off whatever the deductable is in case of an accident. Or, even lay that ammount down as sort of a "deposit" so it's allready figured into your budget. That would only make sense, of course, if the deductable is less than what you would pay in insurance.

Good luck-if you find any good places, tell me.

-rick

Most production insurance companies offer short shoot insurance.

In fact most short films that rent gear and locations will obtain production insurance. You can't rent gear without it in most cases.

For a one day shoot it won't be much. I suggest you get it for the week in case there are delays or you go over due to unforeseen circumstances. Smart producers prepare for all eventualities.

R,

It's really simple, we don't even need the 12 hour day to get this accomplished.

I may go for a week but only if it's not too much more expensive...

My DP doesnt have insurance on the camera, that's why I want to get it just in case.

I can get insurance for all the rented gear, but does the insurance that I get from a rental house cover equipment that wasn't rented from them?

Right now I'm going to be spending around $200 on insurance for the equipment I'm renting from Wooden Nickle.

While we're on the topic, does anyone know how much Location Sound or Coffey Sound charges for insurance?

Ideally, I'm looking for a small, short term insurance coverage that I can take to the rental house and have them not charge me more for insurance... as well as still be covered for all the equipment on the set. Any idea how much it normally is?

Insurance is a strain on the pocketbook, but a nice security blanket. The companies like Film Emporium will charge about $1100-2000 for a 10-day policy. The higher end is if you are doing a union gig and need worker's comp. A 10-day policy is pretty much the standard and the shortest term policy they have. Worker's comp costs $900 for a small crew and it is good for 60 days.

You can look into "piggybacking" onto another filmmakers insurance policy if they are in production. Also, try Filmmakers Alliance. I needed insurance for a one-day shoot and it cost me around $400 (that was a year ago.)

Remember when you are renting equipment, you need to cover yourself with insurance from the day you pick up the equip to the day you drop off. (Eg. a weekend rental needs to be covered from Friday to Monday.)

Good luck!

• Premium Member
You can look into "piggybacking" onto another filmmakers insurance policy if they are in production.

Remember when you are renting equipment, you need to cover yourself with insurance from the day you pick up the equip to the day you drop off. (Eg. a weekend rental needs to be covered from Friday to Monday.)

I can't recommend the "piggybacking" approach. I was at an annual conference with my insurance company and that subject was brought up-- it may not cover you, and may be a violation of state insurance laws.

But... Good News! I clicked on a Google Adwords ad on this very site about insurance about a week ago. I called them yesterday and spoke to the very pleasant Kat Wong at Heffernan Insurance (LA office), who outlined their programs. Then a client of mine rented $30k worth of gear for a week, paid $225 for property insurance, and I had the Certificate of Insurance emailed to me -the rental house- in a few hours. You can do it over the phone with a credit card. They say they expect to have an automated system up in about a month. I am jazzed, because the insurance issue has been such a problem for low/no budget productions. Their deductables are lower than traditional production policies I have seen as well. Of course they have annual policies and liability packages too.

Kat Wong, 213-236-0511.

Bruce Taylor

www.Indi35.com

Short Term Production insurance is available through Marshall Entertainment Insurance. I carried our annual policy with them for close to 15 years. DeWitt Stern is another very solid broker in the entertainment industry. This year I switched off to the Walter P. Dolle agency since they have a special policy for Steadicam operators / SOA members.

Robert Starling, SOC

Steadicam Owner Operator

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

Just to add the info to the thread, in the UK, Essex Insurance Brokers do a decent short film package much in the vein of the things listed above. They did recently refuse to cover me on something that used pyrotechnics, though, so it seems they're mainly interested in what might be called mainstream short filmmaking, which generally doesn't involve that sort of thing.

I'd use them again, regardless.

P

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...