focusing cross screen

Gordon C

I own a Sankyo LXL 250 super 8 camera. I wear glasses, and i have no idea how to adjust the focus. It is harder than focusing with a 35mm. why? I followed the manual but it is hard to distinguish if the image is in focus or not. Anywhere I turn the focus knob the screen is not really differientiating the image's focus distance.

I get the same thing, I have a Nizo 156 Macro, and focusing is not only difficult, since you have to zoom and watch some vertical line being continuous, and zooming out again, but it also takes up so much time that it's usually not worth it, unless its a shot below f4 or a zoom or macro shot. In all other instances I estimate (sorry, no guestimation here ;) ) the distance, which is really not hard with some practice. However If you need excellent sharpness, then you better go on and try harder to focus correctly....

I get the same thing, I have a Nizo 156 Macro, and focusing is not only difficult, since you have to zoom and watch some vertical line being continuous, and zooming out again, but it also takes up so much time that it's usually not worth it, unless its a shot below f4 or a zoom or macro shot. In all other instances I estimate (sorry, no guestimation here ;) ) the distance, which is really not hard with some practice. However If you need excellent sharpness, then you better go on and try harder to focus correctly....

It is not like I don't want to focus harder, but the line is not demonstration if the subject is in focus or not.

Hi i have wear glasses and is much better shot without it and adjust the dioptric viewfinder to your eye.

Be sure of the line of the screen are sharp. Zoom in, focus your object, zoom out to the desired composition and shoot.

If I plan to shoot a lot then I wear contact lenses and adjust the dioptric viewfinder to the new situation.

Hi;

A quick way to adjust eyepiece to your vision = zoom into very distant object and set lens to infinity by racking left fully, then adjust eyepiece until the cross hatch lines match perfectly, if they can't then you may have a problem with the eyepiece!

Rachel

It is harder than focusing with a 35mm. why?

Most S8 cameras have aerial focusing, most 35mm cameras have a ground glass. With an aerial viewfinder, accurate focusing is nearly impossible, specially on the long side of the lens. Your eye is focusing as well, so even if the camera is out of focus your eye will focus till you see sharp.

Maybe it's better to focus after the distance marks on the lens, but they have to be tested first. And it won't be much "point'n shoot" anymore.