RED gets wired

Luke Haywood

I suppose most of you will have seen this by now:

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywo...09/ff_redcamera

Bit of a Nerds-eye-view of the RED one, although the writer clearly knows little about the film industry. But at least we get a few new tidbits of information amongst the usual boiler-plate funhouse-mirror regurgitation of propoganda.

"Analog Film"? Is there any other kind?

And what's this?

"Standing nearby is the man who developed it?a handsome guy with a neatly trimmed goatee and a pair of sunglasses perched atop his clean-shaven head. He clutches a can of Diet Coke in his left hand, an unlit Montecristo jutting from between his fingers."

At least one of the cinematographers interviewed complains that he was quoted wildly out of context, but I guess we're used to that :P

• Premium Member
At least one of the cinematographers interviewed complains that he was quoted wildly out of context, but I guess we're used to that :P

The Provideo Coalition weren't too impressed:

Wired Magazine Gets the RED Totally Wrong

But perhaps "Totally wrong" is a bit strong.

I liked the bit (always assuming it is correctly reported) where it says Jim Jannard only started the RED ball rolling after being buggered about by Sony with the editing software for a new HDR-FX11 HD consumer camcorder!

Having worked for those bastards and been on the receiving end of an enormous amount of customer abuse over essential support software that simply would not work on a large percentage of computers (and they shipped product knowing that was the case), it's the sort of thing I would have done if I had the money :lol: .

I would have made it a 1920 X 1080 "live" camera with 4K as the non-real time option as that would have actually increased its utility to beginners as well as seasoned pros, and there probably would not have been as many "mechanical" reliability problems.

But there wouldn't have been too many fanboys either :P

• Premium Member

OK, not totally wrong, but mostly wrong. That doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is that so many people expect better from a magazine for the general public. The accuracy of this article is about par for all of the general circulation mags and news outlets on all specialized subjects. Ask a pilot how well they do on plane crashes, or a structural engineer how well they do on bridge collapses. We haven't been singled out.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
hello guys,

go to apple trailers and watch the KNOWING trailer

35mm or Digital... can you tell me please what you think??

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/...iler_large.html

Hi,

There is no sign of any grain & the highlights in the sky clip like in Crossing the Line so I would say digital.

Stephen

The director of iRobot shot Knowing with the RED ONE,

now...

For months, industry watchers wondered if the company was for real. Today, there's no question. The Red One is being used on at least 40 features. Steven Soderbergh, the Oscar-winning director, borrowed two prototypes to shoot his Che Guevara biopics, which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in May, and later purchased three for his film The Informant. Peter Jackson, the Lord of the Rings himself, bought four. Director Doug Liman used a Red on Jumper. Peter Hyams used one on his upcoming Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. Digital cinema that's all but indistinguishable from film is finally coming to a theater near you.

oohh.. come on guys filmmakers do films films films... not talk talk, bull shhh.....

-shot with the RED Camera 100% a big tv series SAM coming soon...

-shot with the RED Camera 100% a high budget feature film FACTS 29 coming soon...

• Premium Member
The director of iRobot shot Knowing with the RED ONE,

now...

For months, industry watchers wondered if the company was for real. Today, there's no question. The Red One is being used on at least 40 features. Steven Soderbergh, the Oscar-winning director, borrowed two prototypes to shoot his Che Guevara biopics, which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in May, and later purchased three for his film The Informant. Peter Jackson, the Lord of the Rings himself, bought four. Director Doug Liman used a Red on Jumper. Peter Hyams used one on his upcoming Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. Digital cinema that's all but indistinguishable from film is finally coming to a theater near you.

oohh.. come on guys filmmakers do films films films... not talk talk, bull shhh.....

-shot with the RED Camera 100% a big tv series SAM coming soon...

-shot with the RED Camera 100% a high budget feature film FACTS 29 coming soon...

Hi,

Digital cameras have been used for over 10 years for features & big tv series so nothing really new.

I do not agree that "Digital cinema that's all but indistinguishable from film", highlight handling, skin tones & lack of grain (not added noise) make a huge difference IMHO.

Stephen

Right Stephen but look, im just saying that...

RED camera is giving us the opportunity to do low budget films with a great picture quality,

and is making the filmmaker's life easier and better, now with this type of camera we can do Hi-end films

and we can save some money to increment production or production value, don't you think?

as a filmmakers should be worry about writing or looking for new fresh good stories in order to get

films done...

As i said, is just my point of view...you have a right to your opinion......even if it's wrong. :P

• Premium Member

Did you get this off a press release?

Hi,

Digital cameras have been used for over 10 years for features & big tv series so nothing really new.

I do not agree that "Digital cinema that's all but indistinguishable from film", highlight handling, skin tones & lack of grain (not added noise) make a huge difference IMHO.

Stephen

The real telling factor is not the number of producers who decide to shoot digitally, it's the amount of repeat business they do.

Give the amount of publicity this concept has had over the years it's hardly surprising that people want to give something new a try, but I suspect a lot them wind up wondering what all the fuss was about and go back to film. For example, after all his waffling about the Genesis on Superman Returns, I don't recall that Bryan Singer has shot anything else on video. I also tend to think that many people decide to give it a go, just in case the industry goes all digital sometime soon. That way they have at least some experience shooting digitally under their belt and on their CV.

However I also know from experience that once they find out how much hard work is involved in overcoming the very real latitude deficiencies of video cameras, they tend to avoid it like the plague:-)

For all you fanboys out there: If you have zero talent, NO camera is going to be a substitute for it.

A RED or similar might allow you to make a film that nobody is going to watch, but that's about it.

I'm not sure what the difference is between not making a film, and making a film that nobody watches.

Some of you also badly need to learn the difference between the words "when" and "if". :rolleyes:

Did you get this off a press release?

Hardly surprising they're popping up here. As soon as someone on Reduser.net mentions the Red-Haters on "C.com" membership over here mysteriously increases ;)

Jim Jannard has been posting overtime about Stephen's bet thing over on the Epic folder on Reduser. The usual suspects have been chiming in on cue. Do check it out if you haven't already, it's a good read!

(Don't know what this has to do with JJ's latest piece of vaporware, but I almost missed it because I normally have better things to do than read Science Fiction comics :-)

Jim Jannard has been posting overtime about Stephen's bet thing over on the Epic folder on Reduser. The usual suspects have been chiming in on cue. Do check it out if you haven't already, it's a good read!

Very funny link. Is every thread over there filled with as much self congratulation and trash talking? I couldn't be bothered wading through all 8 pages but the first couple will give you the gist. I found the Wired a bit depressing as well, its a magazine I enjoy but it was so inaccurate that it casts a shadow on a lot of the other articles Ive read over the years. You would think they would hire a writer familiar with the industry to write the piece but I guess not. I'm glad to see the "Know1ng" (Clever spelling) trailer and would love to see it in theatre, script appears to be an odd cross of "Number 23" and Nick Cage's own "Next". Not a good pedigree but its always interesting to see Melbourne on screen.

• Premium Member
Very funny link. Is every thread over there filled with as much self congratulation and trash talking? I couldn't be bothered wading through all 8 pages but the first couple will give you the gist.

You really should read the whole thing; it was getting somewhat surreal towards the end. Eventually Stephen Williams somehow prodded Jannard into giving a donation to some charity or another, whether it was $500 or $10,000 I'm not too sure.

JJ made the comment that he has already bet a considerable (but unspecified) sum on digital taking over from film.

The interesting thing is that a couple of years back fellow Billionaire and Panavision owner Ron Perelman effectively bet $750 million that film projection has a future by buying the Deluxe film processing chain and all its subsidiaries!

The whole argument is ridiculous anyway. Only a relative handful of general cinema release movies get made every year, a certain percentage being entirely computer generated animation, so what exactly would it prove it more than 50% were shot digitally anyway.

But for what it's worth, the year that happens is 2015.

And no I'm not taking any bets. Seven years is altogether too long to wait.

Meanwhile, sighting realistic RED footage continues to elude me. My precogntitve powers don't stretch to predicting when that will happen:-)