Another quick question

Nick Norton

Is that the right core? Doesn't look like it would fit on my magazine.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

It's a projection reel.

I suppose if you pulled the flange from your mag on the feed size it would fit in there like a daylight spool

& take up with the 2" core.

It's a projection reel.

I suppose if you pulled the flange from your mag on the feed size it would fit in there like a daylight spool

& take up with the 2" core.

True, if you flip the metal locking piece up and pull off the flange, it will accept a daylight spool and/or the ebay core your looking at.

I have a picture of a Eclair mag being loaded and showing the direction, emulsion, etc. Let me know if you need it.

Tom

Also, and pardon my ignorancy, but i am confused on how the Eclair magazine works in terms of loading a spool of film and having a core on the take-up side of the mag.

If i buy 100ft. of film from Kodak, will it already come on a spool?

Will i need a seperate spool on the take-up side of the magazine?

thanks-

nicholas

Also, and pardon my ignorancy, but i am confused on how the Eclair magazine works in terms of loading a spool of film and having a core on the take-up side of the mag.

If i buy 100ft. of film from Kodak, will it already come on a spool?

Will i need a seperate spool on the take-up side of the magazine?

thanks-

nicholas

If you buy 100 foot daylight it will be on a metal spool that will keep the most of the light out (hence "daylight spool") in a low light environment. I would still load it in a place where you can see the threading path, but with the minimum amount of light to be able to accomplish that. When you load film on a core, you'll need to do it in complete darkness.

I just went through the very same thing a couple of months ago as my Eclair had just arrived.

If you're using 100 foot loads, then I would put the same 100 ft metal reel on the take up side, that way when you unload it (in minimal light again) you can pop it right into it's little plastic Kodak case for processing. so to answer your question, yes you would need a take reel.

Note: The following graphic is on a core, NOT the 100 ft daylight reel we're talking about. So when threading you want to go for the emulsion side to be facing out when you're magazine is loaded, closed, and ready to snap to the camera. On a 100ft roll, the emulsion side is in. Hopefully the graphic will make sense. I got the picture from Saul, who was a great help as I was learning to thread this camera, and I just added the callouts.

eclair_mag.jpg

Hope this helps,

Tom

Thanks Tom, i appreciate it.

I only have a plastic core like the one in that photo. Will this work for the take-up until i can get a metal reel?

thanks-

nicholas

Sure. just make sure that when you open it to unload you do it in complete darkness.

Good point on the manual Dave. One thing I did find confusing on the ACL II manual though, is that on p.21 it shows the feed side (200 mag) motion as counter clockwise and on p.22 it shows the feed side (400 ft) turning clockwise. The only reason I can think of is that back in the day the 200 ft rolls were wound emulsion out (like a-minina loads). I'm pretty sure unless you order it special you'll get 100 ft and/or 400 loads emulsion in and so the feed side should be turning clockwise.

Hope I didn't confuse the issue.

Tom

Sure. just make sure that when you open it to unload you do it in complete darkness.

Good point on the manual Dave. One thing I did find confusing on the ACL II manual though, is that on p.21 it shows the feed side (200 mag) motion as counter clockwise and on p.22 it shows the feed side (400 ft) turning clockwise. The only reason I can think of is that back in the day the 200 ft rolls were wound emulsion out (like a-minina loads). I'm pretty sure unless you order it special you'll get 100 ft and/or 400 loads emulsion in and so the feed side should be turning clockwise.

Hope I didn't confuse the issue.

Tom

Hate to tell you Tom, but i think you did.

I have a french 200ft mag, and just ordered 6 different stocks of 100ft daylight loading spools B-wound single perf.

Not sure if that is going to be emulsion in, or out... buttt what does this mean? Should i be alright?

thanks-

nicholas

Sorry Nicholas,

You're fine with that film.

There are two sides of the film, one is shiny, and the other isn't. The side that IS NOT shiny is the emulsion side. That is the side that will be exposed to light and give you your image. Just make sure that the emulsion side is facing out toward your lens when you put the mag on the camera. That's it.

You'll get it, but practice first with leader.

Tom

The 100' loads come on a spool. Once you shoot it you're left with the empty spool. So that becomes your next take-up spool. On and on it goes - you only need one initial empty spool to get started.

You can almost always find empty 16mm spools on ebay - search for "100' film spool". At the time I am posting this I see two listings. You want the black ones that have solid sides.

It is no problem using the core as a take-up for a 100' load, however I would suggest keeping the core because it will be better for use with a 400' load if you ever decide to do that. You can also find those on ebay by searching for "16mm film core"