SNY HVR-V1U versus PANASONIC DVX-100B

george kosmas

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of planning my first small-time independent feature and walking away with the best camera for the job has us all confused . Suffice to say, I had considered a 16mm arriflex camera kit but the price alone would have maimed the budget - not to mention the costs of film stock and processing, editor's fees, etc. A HDV camera seemed the better road to take . Choosing the right unit has left me with two options: Sony's HVR-V1U and the DVX-100B from Panasonic .

Ideally, my main priority here is finding a system that will create as close a 'film look' as can be achieved by video . Producing a good aspect ratio - preferably 16:9 (2:35) - would be a bonus . So which of the two does the better job? Considering this is a Sony HD forum, what specifications does the HVR display that are missing in the DVX model?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated .

Cheers,

George

• Premium Member

The 100B is not a HD camera so it would be touch to compare. I have been using the Vu1 for a number of HD cable shows and it is about the best camera I've seen in a long time for the money. I am so impressed I'm buying one.

The 100B is not a HD camera so it would be touch to compare. I have been using the Vu1 for a number of HD cable shows and it is about the best camera I've seen in a long time for the money. I am so impressed I'm buying one.

Buy the Sony Z7 instead. It's much better in low-light and its hybrid recording method (without having to buy an additional memory unit) make it a better choice than the V1 or Z1, in my opinion.