Matching Red with Phantom HD

Christophe Collette

Hi everyone, I have not posted for a while now... I am shooting a commercial next week, for money reason the production switched from 35mm to Red and Phantom HD... We are shooting everything in slowmo, ranging from 60fps to 500fps. Therfore the need to shoot some vignettes on the Phantom. I have shot with both cameras before, I think I shot well over 20 commercials on the Red already and a couple of music videos on the Phantom. I am a bit nervous about the difference in looks between the two cameras, again, for money reason (and time also) we can't shoot everything on the Phantom. As anyone tried matching the two together by any chance? Any idea how difficult would that be? The commercial is consisted of vignettes, tableaux, there will not be a single shot that cuts straight from another one, so consistency should not be too hard in my mind but i'd like to hear that from someone else!!

• Premium Member

With good post work the Phantom really has a lot of information to work with. I would expect you end up matching the Phantom to the RED stuff because, though I have not tested this, I really expect the Phantom to have more latitude and color information than the RED, a considerable amount more.

Just make sure enough time is budgeted in the color correction stages to work on the matching, I think when its all said and done the two cameras should be able to match fairly well.

The two cameras are used together on shoots all the time. They can absolutely be matched together quite well.

Not sure about why you couldn't shoot it all on the Phantom. If you have a CineMag on the Phantom then it makes for a very easy and quick on set workflow. I'm sure it would be less expensive than renting a complete second camera package. A number of Abel clients who had been renting REDs and Phantoms together have chosen to rent just the Phantom for certain jobs when it just made the most sense for them.