"American Centurion"

Jon Rosenbloom

Check out "American Centurion" at http://truththroughaction.org.

I did a bit of complaining about the production in the "Business Practices" forum, but I think the film turned out pretty well. It was a tough, low budget shoot, but they did get me a good set of lenses, as well as a good shoulder rig and cine-saddle.

This was my first prosumer + mini adapter gig. I had always resisted using it, because I always thought that for the cost of renting the adapter and lenses, you could rent a varicam w/ a digi-zoom and get a cleaner image. Having done this shoot, I still have mixed feelings about the system. The image is ok, but it's a one trick pony. Someone told me it looks like 35mm ... I don't know. Maybe it looks like 35mm w/ 1.5 Soft FX in front of the lens! Also, the HVX200 is a great little camera, but it is simply not a motion picture production camera.

Happy to discuss if anyone watches!

I don't mind the sky, except in the wide single of the girl with the dunes behind her. We shot that after sunset and there was no choice but to "push" it in post. Such are the constraints of budget and schedule. I'm not in love w/ the wide master; I think they pushed that as well in order to see the soldier's face a little better.

But as far as looking at the waveform and protecting the highs from spiking, I never gave (or give) it a thought. I was going for the harshest look I could get ( I set the v. detail at +3). In fact, I would have preferred shooting w/ the lens bare in the desert, but since we couldn't stop down on the taking lens beyond an F4, I was fiddling with .nd filters all day, and thus obligated to use a mattebox.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hey Jon!

Glad to see youre shooting a bunch.

This definitely looks like 1/3" HD with a lens adapter. The adapter gives it that literally 3" of depth of field even on a 35mm or so.

I liked the grade. Didn't care for the script, etc, but what can ya do?! :)

Best,

Gus

Check out "American Centurion" at http://truththroughaction.org.

I did a bit of complaining about the production in the "Business Practices" forum, but I think the film turned out pretty well. It was a tough, low budget shoot, but they did get me a good set of lenses, as well as a good shoulder rig and cine-saddle.

This was my first prosumer + mini adapter gig. I had always resisted using it, because I always thought that for the cost of renting the adapter and lenses, you could rent a varicam w/ a digi-zoom and get a cleaner image. Having done this shoot, I still have mixed feelings about the system. The image is ok, but it's a one trick pony. Someone told me it looks like 35mm ... I don't know. Maybe it looks like 35mm w/ 1.5 Soft FX in front of the lens! Also, the HVX200 is a great little camera, but it is simply not a motion picture production camera.

Happy to discuss if anyone watches!