ACing

one other thing you can do to practice 1st Assistant work is, to practice pulling focus with a SLR still camera on a longer lens. Practice guessing distances and working with lenses. Go to a Film lab and get camera reports, or email me and I can send you some templates. Become familiar with them and learn to make them up quickly. Get a Fat Maxx tape measure from a hardware store, and also a Cloth Tape.

one other thing you can do to practice 1st Assistant work is, to practice pulling focus with a SLR still camera on a longer lens. Practice guessing distances and working with lenses. Go to a Film lab and get camera reports, or email me and I can send you some templates. Become familiar with them and learn to make them up quickly. Get a Fat Maxx tape measure from a hardware store, and also a Cloth Tape.

Thanks every one for the advise. When it comes to Camera Reports what is the difference between film and digital. You still use the same reports right?

Another great book which never gets mentioned to much these days, but one I consider the AC bible, is "The Professional Cameramans Handbook" by Carlson and Carlson. While on my very first job as a 2nd AC, I was given this book, and boy did it prepare me for the future of the job. Again, I highly recommend this one.

Larry

David Elkins' book is a fantastic read as well. Pretty much everything you need to know, besides your own personal touches & preferences, are in that book.

You can also go to Elkins' website and download any one of the forms you need. Camera Reports, weekly reports, expendables checklist, etc.: http://www.cameraassistantmanual.com/

Bianca beat me to it. However, I had added more specific info to those camera reports. Some of those formats will never be used (VHS-C/VHS Hi8) or if they are used its for a special reason. I added a few formats that are in common use currently such as P2 Cards/Hard Disk and Specific to the DVCPRO Formats. DVCPRO 50 DVCPRO HD and something I find very very important is the frame rate shot at. 23.98/24P 2:3/24PA 2:3:3:2/29.97/30P/59.94/60P etc so that its known how to process. when shooting video formats its not uncommon to have different video standards from project to project. Not all are 60i or 24P etc. So Adding that information will help the editor make sure that he is ingesting the footage correctly or save him time if he needs to do a conversion. It just good overall info to have on there, I'd say its a sin that its not already on there

Best