AC gigs

Hello,

Im sort of new to LA. And i was wondering if any one could give me some tips on were i could find some AC jobs. That is not Craigslist.

Hi, Blain!

Wow, you sound like me from 17 years ago. :) Before I got into town, I had gathered up phone numbers from everyone I knew of people they knew of friends or relatives who lived in LA. One of those calls resulted in a free job learning how to load on a student film at UCLA. From that one investment in time, I met a great number of people who led me from one opportunity to the next.

So, if you have little to no experience, I'd recommend that you check to see what's happening at the local film schools, like UCLA, USC, and AFI. There is a complete list at www.whatireallywanttodo.com under the "Filmschools" listing. It may be a little tough right now as the Fall semester is just beginning so students are likely not ready to begin crewing yet.

It is also rough right now because most studios are holding back on starting features until the SAG contract is resolved. You may find an opportunity or two on lower budget indie films. Check on the website I mentioned above under "Additional Resources" to look for opportunities.

Good luck!

If you have a resume written up, you could try cold-emailing some DP's, AC's and Prod. companies that might be listed in the Resource411.

I've managed to get my name on a few people's call list this way, and nobody's offended by some AC who's just looking for work. In fact, most of them appreciate you reaching out.

Hi, Blain!

Wow, you sound like me from 17 years ago. :) Before I got into town, I had gathered up phone numbers from everyone I knew of people they knew of friends or relatives who lived in LA. One of those calls resulted in a free job learning how to load on a student film at UCLA. From that one investment in time, I met a great number of people who led me from one opportunity to the next.

So, if you have little to no experience, I'd recommend that you check to see what's happening at the local film schools, like UCLA, USC, and AFI. There is a complete list at www.whatireallywanttodo.com under the "Filmschools" listing. It may be a little tough right now as the Fall semester is just beginning so students are likely not ready to begin crewing yet.

It is also rough right now because most studios are holding back on starting features until the SAG contract is resolved. You may find an opportunity or two on lower budget indie films. Check on the website I mentioned above under "Additional Resources" to look for opportunities.

Good luck!

Thank for the info. I have experience so im not really looking for free Loading work. I have experience as a 1st ac and 2nd with 35mm, 16mm, and big hd cameras like the F23 and Genesis. So i was looking at maybe getting on one of the websites. I also like the idea of 411 guide. Thanks

You are new to LA, but have that kind of experience? and are wondering how to go about getting more work?

-1st, its admired when someone can see your dedication, and stepping in on low to now paying gigs and helping is definately a way to be remembered. And to meet new people. Plenty of talented experienced folks pull freebies all the time. It's very important to "keep busy" regardless. Doesnt have to be loading, work as a 2nd or 1st AC.

-2nd, look on craigslist. I dont know if you have something against it, or if you are just letting us know about it but It can help you.

-3rd, be patient. Work your way up.

Best

You are new to LA, but have that kind of experience? and are wondering how to go about getting more work?

Yeah, I've been working in Vancouver and Seattle. Believe it or not LA is not the only place they Film. All of my connection are up there and every one i have been talking to in LA say its really slow here right now. I think i need to join the union down here.

IF any one is in need of a First or 2nd. Let me know.

Yeah, I've been working in Vancouver and Seattle. Believe it or not LA is not the only place they Film. All of my connection are up there and every one i have been talking to in LA say its really slow here right now. I think i need to join the union down here.

Unfortunately, we're all very aware that LA is not the only game in town (the world) <_<

. Runaway production (Thanks NAFTA!) has been the cause of many divorces, foreclosures and other life altering issues for many long-time professionals.

With that in mind, for someone in your situation, you may run into resistance initially because for so long, LA jobs were perceived to be "stolen" by foreign crews who chose to work cheaper. As the studios scour the globe continually looking for the least expensive crews, those left in the lurch sometimes try to reestablish themselves with those who lost their jobs in the first place.

Also, because LA just doesn't have as much work as it used to before Canada "stole" it, there haven't been as many opportunities for new people as there were in the past. Add to that the current SAG contract dispute and there is even LESS work right now that usual. What that means is that the "elite" department keys will be hiring their favorite guys first and that leaves very little room to let a new individual in.

This isn't to say that you (or others in this situation) won't find work. You may make the right phone call and be working tomorrow! But the odds at present are against it. But as you already are aware, getting work is less about what you know and more about who you know. So it may take some time working on low-budget indies and the like before those crucial connections are made. That part of the business is the same wherever you go.

Good luck!

Oh, I thought movies were only made in LA. Silly me....

Communication is crucial, you said you were new to LA and its not ridiculous to assume you came from a place with no Major industry work. It's common for new filmmakers to come here from smaller cities asking the same exact question. I'm not going to tell you what to do, but if you were a bit more elaborate with your situation I wouldnt have asked the questions that I did. Dont be a wise ass to those who are trying to help you. Especially for being so new to the forums.

Joining the Union here wont help you unless you are being offered the union work, or can get it.

Throw your resume up on the Jobs/Resume's/Reels section. Try Mandy. Take jobs, just to start meeting people. If you think you can just come to LA and expect to not re-establish a bit, the reality will likely prove differently. If it works, then its just chance.

Best

Guest Jake Dunkelberger
Hello,

Im sort of new to LA. And i was wondering if any one could give me some tips on were i could find some AC jobs. That is not Craigslist.

I would just get out there like everyone else has said and try to meet anyone and everyone. Because in LA it about who you know here that you will land good jobs. But LA is very slow right now so just keep plugging away.

Also a great way to meet people is get a job at a rental house. You meet all the working AC and Dps in town that way.

Thank for the info. I have experience so im not really looking for free Loading work. I have experience as a 1st ac and 2nd with 35mm, 16mm, and big hd cameras like the F23 and Genesis. So i was looking at maybe getting on one of the websites. I also like the idea of 411 guide. Thanks

Hey Blain, I'm not trying to sound demeaning or anything, but from your recent posts it seems like you are actually pretty green to AC'ing and could use as much experience as you can get, whether it's paid/unpaid or as a Loader or 2nd. Having a new place and probably paying more rent than you ever have in your life, I can see how you want only paid gigs...but they'll come with the connections you make on some of those free ones.

• Premium Member

Jonathan is probably right. If we're wrong, no offense meant. The phrase "big HD cameras like..." kind of sounds like you're a pretty green AC, as does the fact that you're even asking this question. The fact remains that when you move somewhere new, you have to take what you can for a while. Doing a few free things for contacts is better than sitting in the house, right?

Guest Jake Dunkelberger
Jonathan is probably right. If we're wrong, no offense meant. The phrase "big HD cameras like..." kind of sounds like you're a pretty green AC, as does the fact that you're even asking this question. The fact remains that when you move somewhere new, you have to take what you can for a while. Doing a few free things for contacts is better than sitting in the house, right?

I agree, You have to take as many free gigs until you meet that right person and if you are good enough they should be impressed with your work and most of the time will bring you back for a paying gig. Just stick in there and work as much as possible.