Music

John Allen

Ok so I was sitting here thinking about a film that I am going to shoot this next summer, and when I think about lighting I like to listen to music to help inspire me. I'm not sure if any of you do this, but I really like to, because I think a cinematographer is very much like a composer of music, except in this case, a composer of light. I think that you need the right "rhythm" for the light. It needs to flow with the film. Right now your probably thinkin "Duh, everyone knows that". But I wanted to discuss this, because I think music can, and has with me at least, been a helpful tool in choosing the look I want in the film, or most importantly, what the director wants in it.

When I listen to music I like to escape into my own little creative world. For example, I'm listening to "The Village" soundtrack by James Newton Howard right now, and my mindset for the film I am going to shoot is very fairytailesh. So, this music in essence helps to tell my mind whats going on in the movie, where I'm going to light it, what color tone I want, camera movement, and the composition. Obviously, I already should kind of know what style I want for the film, but music has really helped me expand everything out in my mind.

Anyway, let me know what you all think, and maybe I'm just one of those crazy DP's. lol

But I just bet that a lot of you do something like this.

Oh really, I didn't know that. I don't actually listen I while I shoot. I've thought about listening to my ipod, but I usually get to stressed with it in my ear, with all the noises.

Music is definitely a big part of my creative process. Gotta be careful though, since the wrong piece of music (even in the most subtle way) can really take you off-course, as far as storyboards or shot composition goes. I always have to find the right tone musically when i'm working, which can take a bit of time, but once I've got it I'm off flying.

So yes. Music can be very helpful depending on your process.

• 2 weeks later...

"I always have to find the right tone musically when i'm working."

Yeah exactly, I always try and find the style that fits with the style of the movie too. For example in a movie I'm in the planning stage right now has a fairytale feel to it. So I've been listening to stuff like "Pans Labyrinth", "Hook", and other John William stuff. Come to think of it, other style makes me not even be able to concintrate on the film, cause they both just conflict so much.