Sub 8" personal monitor

Jamie Metzger

I'm looking to buy my own monitor for AC/operating reasons.

I am looking for something that does HD and Analog. Lightweight, good on batteries with good viewing angles.

4 pin xlr power would be great, along with Vtap batteries.

I don't want something huge, but not too small. Waveform is definitely a plus. Sub $1,000 would be great but I can go higher depending on the details.

This is open for discussion as well.

Thanks again,

Jamie

Marshall 7" HD/SD monitor Model#: V-R70P-HDA

It has pretty much everything you would need in an onboard. It might not be true HD in itself, but for its size, picture quality (looks great with an HD signal) and for being lightweight, I'm always a fan of it when I can manage to get one on a shoot.

It's $1,599 directly from Marshall, you may be able to find a deal on one somewhere...in fact:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-7-Monitor-V-R...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

• Premium Member

I'd get the small Panasonic 8". IIRC it's called the 800 something. It is HD (800x450) has a 1:1 HD zoom function, built in WFM, blue only feature and lots more. You can run it off 12V with 4-pin, from V-mount or Anton Bauer batteries depending on what battery module you get. connections are nice too, SDI is included...

Cheers, Dave

The Panasonic referred to is the BT-LH80W, and it is a pretty nice model but about three times the price of what you're thinking. The next step down from that is the Nebtek HD LCD, which is an excellent screen for the price. The Marshall is below that and then you get down to something like the Ikan. If possible I would at least try to go for something like the Nebtek.

We sell all of these products.

Marshall 7" HD/SD monitor Model#: V-R70P-HDA

It has pretty much everything you would need in an onboard. It might not be true HD in itself, but for its size, picture quality (looks great with an HD signal) and for being lightweight, I'm always a fan of it when I can manage to get one on a shoot.

It's $1,599 directly from Marshall, you may be able to find a deal on one somewhere...in fact:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-7-Monitor-V-R...1QQcmdZViewItem

I've been looking at that one for a minute. I'm worried about using it for SD and not having a Downconverter....or is that not an issue?

Hey guys, thanks for those links. I worked next to the BT-LH80W the other day and I really liked it. So did the 1st AC. I think a monitor like that is worth the extra money.

Does anyone have an idea of how much one could get as a kit fee, or rental out of this monitor? This isn't my main priority, but I know it will come up once people know I have one.

jamie

• Premium Member
Hey guys, thanks for those links. I worked next to the BT-LH80W the other day and I really liked it. So did the 1st AC. I think a monitor like that is worth the extra money.

Does anyone have an idea of how much one could get as a kit fee, or rental out of this monitor? This isn't my main priority, but I know it will come up once people know I have one.

jamie

I like this monitor too. The waveform function is a big plus. You don't need a downconverter for SD either, the SDI input also functions as a composite input. Chater rents it for $150/day.

I like this monitor too. The waveform function is a big plus. You don't need a downconverter for SD either, the SDI input also functions as a composite input. Chater rents it for $150/day.

Sweet. I figured that bit about the SD/HD info. One thing I got to thinking about is how the red usually goes out with the Red LCD, but that thing sucks...do you think i might be boning myself getting this monitor?

Jamie

• Premium Member
One thing I got to thinking about is how the red usually goes out with the Red LCD, but that thing sucks...do you think i might be boning myself getting this monitor?

Are you planning on using it mainly with a Red? If so, then I don't know how useful it's going to be. I've had the Red LCD and the Panasonic 8" mounted on a Red at the same time but the 2nd monitor got in the way more than anything. You can't really tell focus with either monitor unless you use the pixel-for-pixel function, so I'd rather have the Red LCD with the settings display.

I think the monitor will be more useful for HD video cameras. I don't know how useful a waveform will be with the Red camera since you won't be monitoring the actual image anyway. But for checking exposure on run-and-gun type HD shoots, it's perfect.

I'm not a fan of this model. If I'm not mistaken, it's a little bulky and pretty heavy for onboard purposes.

So is the Marshall you suggested. The ones I have used keep swiveling off Noga arms all the time, getting scratched and scratching the camera in the process. No matter how hard and tight you get the Noga arm, the Marshall 7 inch is going to crash down from where you placed it.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

Are you planning on using it mainly with a Red? If so, then I don't know how useful it's going to be. I've had the Red LCD and the Panasonic 8" mounted on a Red at the same time but the 2nd monitor got in the way more than anything. You can't really tell focus with either monitor unless you use the pixel-for-pixel function, so I'd rather have the Red LCD with the settings display.

I think the monitor will be more useful for HD video cameras. I don't know how useful a waveform will be with the Red camera since you won't be monitoring the actual image anyway. But for checking exposure on run-and-gun type HD shoots, it's perfect.

Yes, well I am concerned about the fall off of HD shoots ;) Hahah

Watch me buy it and red comes out with another monitor that solves the stupid problems it has now.

Honestly I want this for personal reasons, as I could have used something like this for corporate, but not as robust. I'm sure it will pay itself off in the long run.

So is the Marshall you suggested. The ones I have used keep swiveling off Noga arms all the time, getting scratched and scratching the camera in the process. No matter how hard and tight you get the Noga arm, the Marshall 7 inch is going to crash down from where you placed it.

I tried finding a link for you,; nothing came up. Look for a "smathers arm/bracket" it's a horizontal arm (no up and down), works great, but is sometimes limited. I imagine if you put it on a red, you could put it anywhere you want.

I tried finding a link for you,; nothing came up. Look for a "smathers arm/bracket" it's a horizontal arm (no up and down), works great, but is sometimes limited. I imagine if you put it on a red, you could put it anywhere you want.

Yeah, I have worked with those. I have mixed feelings about them, they can be great, but I find missing the endless position capabilities of the Noga and the Bogen (Italian/magic) arm.

I once worked as B-cam op on a HDX 900 show where the A-cam operator / DP trew a hissy fit because the Smathers arm could not be moved out of the way fast enough/ wasn't as versatile as the Noga, but when they went back to the Noga he threw a hissy fit, because the monitor kept on falling . . . All the while I was happy with my lighter SD-only monitor on a Noga arm.

If I must sacrifice on-board HD picture for lighter and safer operation, so be it. If I want to look at HD picture I go to video village, or look at the viewfinder. Of course, RED just came out with its viewfinder, so sometimes using the viewfinder is not an option.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

I haven't compared weight specs, but the Pana always seems heavier to me :/

If the Noga arm doesn't work for you, there are two beefier options that retain flexibility. The new Zacuto arms have a stronger friction clamping surface so they are less prone to failute. There is also the Bogen/Manfrotto hydrostatic arms (not the magic arm), which uses a hydraulic compression chamber to hold the arm rock steady and you never need to crank down on it.

Abel sells all of these option.

If the Noga arm doesn't work for you, there are two beefier options that retain flexibility. The new Zacuto arms have a stronger friction clamping surface so they are less prone to failute. There is also the Bogen/Manfrotto hydrostatic arms (not the magic arm), which uses a hydraulic compression chamber to hold the arm rock steady and you never need to crank down on it.

Abel sells all of these option.

I'll check those out, thanks.