Lighting Several Cars at Night

Fabian Perez

Hello all,

I've been planning setups for a music video I'm shooting next weekend. Towards the end of the video we have a shot that consists of several cars in a circular formation around the band playing.

This shot will take place at night in a pretty good sized open area. The car lights will be on, lighting the band. We have a wide shot of the entire setup, and POVs from inside the cars looking out.

My question is: with multiple car lights on, how will this affect my exposure and the band? We're on a tight budget so if the lights are too hot, what kind of steps can I take to stop them down?

Also, when shooting the POVs from the backseat and rear window of a car driving away from the circle, I was planning on throwing up a couple HMIs with 1/2 CTO to try and get down to 4300k. I'd like to bring up the background a bit, but if the car lights are on, will it make a difference? I imagine the brightness of the lights will flare up quite a bit and could potentially block some of the frame.

Thanks!

My question is: with multiple car lights on, how will this affect my exposure and the band? We're on a tight budget so if the lights are too hot, what kind of steps can I take to stop them down?

Different cars will have different strength headlamps so the best way to do this is pre-cut a piece of .3 .6 & .9 ND for each set of lights.

Regards, James