Burn After Reading

• Premium Member

What a funny movie. Those guys are really clever.

*SPOILER ALERT*

Their ability to goof with the viewer's expectations is beyond brilliant. It simultaneously builds and self-mocks a stock and trade, TV grade intrigue story. My wife and I stood in the hallway waiting for the first feature to let out. The doors open and out pours this good looking, older and smart crowd of people all discussing the points of the movie and laughing with involved delight. My wife turns to me and says, "This is going to be a "way homer"." It was.

It's the next morning and we're still unraveling elements of the movie and laughing with a kind of wonder at it's cleverness.

What a funny movie. Those guys are really clever.

*SPOILER ALERT*

Their ability to goof with the viewer's expectations is beyond brilliant. It simultaneously builds and self-mocks a stock and trade, TV grade intrigue story. My wife and I stood in the hallway waiting for the first feature to let out. The doors open and out pours this good looking, older and smart crowd of people all discussing the points of the movie and laughing with involved delight. My wife turns to me and says, "This is going to be a "way homer"." It was.

It's the next morning and we're still unraveling elements of the movie and laughing with a kind of wonder at it's cleverness.

It was fantastic. I can't stop saying WTF.

I agree. The trailer is pretty terrible though. I had no desire to see it and probably wouldnt have were my ticket not a gift =p

However after about 20 minutes I was really into it. The film gets better as it goes and it stands up pretty well. Only thing I'm unsure of is if I like or hate the fact that george clooney always seems to be playing a version of george clooney.

Only thing I'm unsure of is if I like or hate the fact that george clooney always seems to be playing a version of george clooney.

I think it's just a better version of his character from "Intolerable Cruelty". It's as if the Coen's gave him a 2nd crack at it. He was great in IC, but this was just such a superior film to that one.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

I think what I really enjoyed was that the Coens made sure we actually began to like and perhaps care for a character...just before they brutally murdered them, ha ha!!

• Premium Member
Only thing I'm unsure of is if I like or hate the fact that george clooney always seems to be playing a version of george clooney.

I don't really see the problem with that. The Duke played one character his whole life. Jimmy Stewart was basically versions of himself.

Certain personalities like theirs just work on film sometimes.

I don't really see the problem with that. The Duke played one character his whole life. Jimmy Stewart was basically versions of himself.

Certain personalities like theirs just work on film sometimes.

Jack Nicholson has three academy awards for playing Jack Nicholson.

Edited by Joe Sexton