Arri D21 Images

Stephen Williams

• Premium Member

Hi,

There are now 2 versions of the D21, both are on sale rather than rental only for the D20. The HD verson only has HD outputs, rather than HD & data outputs.

There is an MScope feature to record the whole 4x3 chip to dual stream SDI. There are 2 seperate outputs of 1920 x 1080 that creates a reloloution of 1920 x 1440 when using conventional anamorphic lenses.

Images are very impressive.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

There are now 2 versions of the D21, both are on sale rather than rental only for the D20. The HD verson only has HD outputs, rather than HD & data outputs.

There is an MScope feature to record the whole 4x3 chip to dual stream SDI. There are 2 seperate outputs of 1920 x 1080 that creates a reloloution of 1920 x 1440 when using conventional anamorphic lenses.

Ooh, that's pretty neat. I'd also like to see some footage, though it's always kind of hard because you end up getting really compressed, downsampled stuff, and it's hard to actually tell much from that.

I would like to see specifically how it compares to the F23 and F35, particularly in color reproduction and latitude.

• Premium Member
Hi,

Images are very impressive.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Now that you've attended a recent RED demonstration as well as one for the D21, how do the two cameras compare?

Thanks.

• Premium Member
Hi Stephen,

Now that you've attended a recent RED demonstration as well as one for the D21, how do the two cameras compare?

Thanks.

Hi,

My only complaint with the D21 everything was graded to look exactly like

film, clearly some shots worked very well, others not. With the Red demo

some pictures looked like film some looked like 'RED', like another film

stock. Resolution is very good as is DR. It's a very good tool, the

spinning mirror viewfinder is a huge advantage and will tip the balance for

many.

So many choices, however Fuji Vivid is hard to beat if you want to create an image in camera rather than in post..

Stephen

• Premium Member
So many choices, however Fuji Vivid is hard to beat if you want to create an image in camera rather than in post..

Stephen

Stephen,

What Kodak Stock does Vivid compare to... Grain wise? 12?

Thanks.

Hi,

Vivid at 160 asa is not a grainy stock. It just has life unlike the very safe and boring Kodak range where they all look the same.

Stephen

• Premium Member
I am ready to roll some right now... today.. I have some... I am just wondering if it is closer Grain wise to 12... or 17? I am shooting S16.

Thanks.

Hi,

In 35mm I did not really see much difference in grain between 12 or 17, 12 was sharper. Vivid works well in daylight, I used an 85 filter.

Stephen

• Premium Member

D21 is the only digital camera that has filmic motion that I've worked with. The lattitude is also the best of the digital footage that I've cut and when it does clip it has a nice fall off. but for me it is the way it renders motion that makes it special. that and the fact that it uses flashmags which are special in the retarded sense of the word.

• 2 weeks later...
D21 is the only digital camera that has filmic motion that I've worked with. The lattitude is also the best of the digital footage that I've cut and when it does clip it has a nice fall off. but for me it is the way it renders motion that makes it special. that and the fact that it uses flashmags which are special in the retarded sense of the word.

Keith, I really would like to hear more about your findings, this reply of yours gives me still a lot of questions.

Did you see or compare footage from F35 / Genesis and D21?

Does the spinning mirror make a different motion than the Sony electronic shutter?

Is the latitude more than the Sony F35? I just saw a test of that and it was amazing what was recoverable on 4 stops over exposed on a human skin.

What flashmag are you talking about? I have not seen anything from Arri as such and that is promoted by Arri, the last test we did was with a Sony HR deck.

I do know that some HDD-units are available, but not all certified yet by Arri.

Was that Flashmag easily integrated into post? what file format is used? Running time?

Rob van Gelder

Bangkok

• Premium Member

As I said that I've worked on, so I cannot compare with the f35 or the genesis. though i have had a play with the f23. The D21's motion does feel more natural to me, less clinical. The venom/arri flashmag is very expensive and in on our shoot not particularly reliable- we had a number of problems with it. In many ways it is too simple to use. We lost a number of shots without warning and with no way of finding out why due to the simplicity of the mag. It feels a little bit homemade to be honest. We dumped the flashmag onto SR, which is really the only practical way to use it. I suppose if you were shooting to S2 or something like that you could dump it to another hard disk. The mags running time is less than ten minutes I think, would have to ask the DIT for more info.

Thanks Keith, that is a good and honest observation. I have understood from some Arri rep. that there are only a few HDD-recorders that are certified or in the process of being certified to work reliable with the D21.

The Venom mag is not there.....

Personally I like the form-factor from the digital mag from the Phantom-HD much better, specially for hand-held shootings/steadicam.

Not sure if this would be available (ever) for the Arri.

on October 20-21-22 we will have a shootout between Arri D21 and the Sony F35, both recorded to the Sony SWR-1 HDcam-SR recorder.

I will give more info and conclusions afterwards.

Rob van Gelder

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It is possible to re-combine Mscope material using an open source tool, such as ImageMagick. Here's a code snippet that should do the job. You need to put this inside a script, of course, to make it process entire takes.

convert aLink_001.dpx bLink_001.dpx -crop 1920x720+0+180 +repage -scale 100x200%^! ^( -size 1x1440 pattern:gray50 -scale 1920x1440^! ^) -composite joined_001.dpx

Hope this helps.