Illegal Movie Downloads

• Premium Member
The website where you got the torrent is liable to that copyrighted material since it is a gateway to that file just as a pot dealer doesn't smoke it but is liable for selling it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how bit torrents work (aren't they person-to-person rather than hosted form one central server?), but aren't they just telling people where to buy the weed, so to speak? They're like the classified ads of the download world. I dislike media piracy as much as anyone else who makes their living from it but I don't think this website is doing anything legally wrong. Morally is another story...

Edited by Chris Keth

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

As far as I know, yes the torrent's just told people where they are, acting as pointers,but they had to host a file which contained alll the instructions for the client, and/or a link to that file and I think the libel was something to do with that.

Sadly, though, you can download torrents from google...

There are bigger things in play then just movie downloads when it comes to the bittorrent argument. Namely the future of copyright. When the ability to duplicate is non-destructive, limitless and free it undermines the justification to have "right" to "copy". Distribution is simply a service now, not a means of production. While content creators will always have a right to authorship, the ability to control how media in ingested is soon to be completely impossible. The genie is out of the bottle.

The trillion dollar question is where will the money come from to make the content. There is always going to be a demand for media, and it will always cost money to make it. In time this will be sorted, and an economy around it. It seems the MPAA and the RIAA are just on the wrong side of progress.

Edited by Tom Hall