AG-HVX200 worth buying?

Joe Swinehart

I was wondering if the Panasonic AG-HVX200 was worth buying. I have about 20 projects to shoot (in a 1-2 year time span) and I would like a good HD camera.

Should I be looking for something different?

What are the major flaws of this camera?

The editing software I am using is final cut pro. Should I be worried about incompatibility problems?

Last Question: should I buy a new shotgun mic to go with it (if so, what would you recommend)

• 2 weeks later...

There will probably be people who disagree with me, but I'd recommend one of the newer generation HD cameras over the HVX. The HVX DOES make nice images, but the resolution is barely above the look of uprezzed SD video. I've been shooting with the HVX and it's BIG brother the HPX-500 for over a year now - 2 years on the HVX, so I've had a little experience with them.

As has been mentioned - the EX1 looks like an excellent camera - I'd buy one myself, if it wasn't for the Scarlet coming out next year - maybe. I'll be renting until then.

• 5 months later...

<_<

Video cameras are always a tricky thing to consider buying because of how fast technology changes. We can now be talking about HD and most likely HD will be crap in 2010 because Ultra HD could come out then HD ultra ultra will come out after and so far so on.

I wouldn't say "the resolution is barely above the look of uprezzed SD video"... that's a huge down play on the images that the HVX produces.

I personally own the HPX170 and say that you won't be disappointed in this camera.

The HPX-170 has improved resolution and low light performance tho.

Also the HMC-150 is now availble as a budget option too (basically the same camera head as HPX-170) which has the big advantage of using compact flash instead of P2 but the big downside of an avchd workflow.

love

Freya