are all ccds 4/3 ??

sam williams

There are CCD's with a wide variety of aspect ratios, ranging anywhere from 1x4000 to fully square. Now, 4:3 is the most popular, for the reasons Nate up there already said. But yes, there are more options than just 4:3

thanks for your swift replies guys, could you tell me then how anamorphic lenses are used, is it to emulate having a wider ccd sensor for those who cant afford, and when the footage is unsquished is it then like 1/2 the horizontal quality it once was?

also can you use anamorphic lenses with film as well?

thanks

thanks for your swift replies guys, could you tell me then how anamorphic lenses are used, is it to emulate having a wider ccd sensor for those who cant afford, and when the footage is unsquished is it then like 1/2 the horizontal quality it once was?

also can you use anamorphic lenses with film as well?

thanks

A lot of films are have been shot with anamorphic lenses and still are (Star Wars, Heat, Flags of Our Fathers). They use a 2:1 compression ratio and pass though a 1:1.19 aperture gate to get the 2.39 Scope ratio. When you're in the cinema watching Scope the projector is using an anamorphic lens to restore the image to its original shape for viewing. Often "shooting with Panavision" means using anamorphic lenses.

You can use anamorphics on video but I can't think of any well known film yet that has used them, although the Arri D-21 allows you to use anamorphics in addition to spherical lenses. I don't think there is a anamorphic system for DV cameras but I have heard of 1.33 ratio anamorphics for HD at 16:9 to create a 1:2.37 aspect ratio, very close to 1:2.39.