need RECOVERING FILES FROM SxS card

Hi there

I shot some footage with EX1 and after shooting transfered all files with xdcam transfer onto my computer. After transfering files I ereased

contents of the SxS cards through computer (using finder, and draging file foldersto trash) Emptied the trash.....

Few moments later I wanted to go trhough the rushes....and noticed that there is one file missing!!!!

It is crucial file for what I shot!

I'm very worried, and don't know what options do I have?

Is it possible to get that file somehow?

How?

I must say the camera wasn't mine. I gave it back (and the cards as well) before I noticed anything was wrong.

I have no idea why it happened like that.

I guess I did everything right.

Just a bad bad luck?

If anyone has a clue if there is a slightest chance to recover lost file please help.

regards

iga

• Premium Member

If there is such a thing as a file undeleter for an Apple Mac, you have a reasonable chance of recovering your file.

Just don't write anything else to the card until you have tried it, or any remains of the file may be overwritten.

P

There are a couple of different scenarios:

1. The clip copied but you somehow deleted that one .mov file from wherever XDCAM transfer was storing it. File recovery software might be able to bring it back, but don't use that drive in the mean time.

2. The clip never copied and the only version of the footage was on the card. If you can get the card back there may be recovery software that will work with the SXS format, but I haven't heard any success stories in that regard.

3. Same as 2 above but the card has been re-formatted or shot over again. You're out of luck.

Just to confirm, you did an import through XDCAM Transfer, but did not make a direct backup copy of the BPAV folder from the card somewhere else, correct?

Just to confirm, you did an import through XDCAM Transfer, but did not make a direct backup copy of the BPAV folder from the card somewhere else, correct?

THanks for your responses....

Michael Belanger

Correct, unfortunately.

It was my first time with EX cameras, using cards. I wasn't aware I shoud direct backup of BPAV folders.

Now I know. Only it'skind of painful knowledge.

ANyway, I got back the cards, they are well in hands of some special file rescuer, who I hope will do his job right. ANd I hope this story will have a happy end.

WHat happened is that lost file was the one recorded on the moment of slot switching - so it's acutally divided into two cards -(is it what .smi file stands for?) and maybe that was the reson of loosing it.

iw

The Rescuer got the files back.

Which is so great!

but....

but he can't play them!

Can anyone give us a tip?!

What to do?

We are so close to get our rushes back!

The Rescuer :) has them saved on his external disc.

I should give the cards back to the rentalhouse tomorrow, and they are going to be overwritten (I hate this)

ANyway. If someone has something to say I will be happy to get some advice

regards

iw

I would first make sure your managing your footage correct. For each card make a NEW folder and ALL the BPAV files into this new folder. Name the folders anything you want but DO NOT rename the files in the BPAV files. I would also update your Clip Browser software. There is a new verison on Sony's site and not easy to find... Open the footage from Sony's clip broswer software or the XDCAM EX transfer software into your editing software Final Cut or Media Composer... Update your software may fix the issue your now having... Good luck! If your information is there in the files, then you should be ok! Its just fixing why you can not play or view the clip's.

Hope this helps! Next time you'll be pro at handling EX footage... Just an F.Y.I. handle P2 card footage the same...

Mark August, SOC

Panavision Hollywood, Ca

The Rescuer got the files back.

Which is so great!

but....

but he can't play them!

Can anyone give us a tip?!

What to do?

We are so close to get our rushes back!

The Rescuer :) has them saved on his external disc.

I should give the cards back to the rentalhouse tomorrow, and they are going to be overwritten (I hate this)

ANyway. If someone has something to say I will be happy to get some advice

regards

iw