DP's What Light Meter is the tops in your book?

Marc_Abernathy

All,

i am in the market for a NEW light meter. I dont have one but im finding myself wanting one of my own.

there are many out there. i shoot film including 8mm, and also HD video and SD video. so i need a one stop shop for all.

sekonic has a couple of new meters but i would rather have some seasoned opinions from the esteemed here.

thanks in advance....

• Premium Member

The spectra meter referred to here is called the Spectra Pro IVA. It is an incident meter and in my opinion a very good one (has never let me down. I use a Minolta Spotmeter F as my spotmeter. I also love this meter, but they don't make it anymore.

This topic has been covered extensively on this forum over the years. Just do a search and you will find tons of info

yeah i know this topic should have been posted to death but my search for "best light meter" and "light meter" came up with posts thaat were over a year old. of course i could have missed something newer but that was my results.

im shocked you guys have not mentioned the sekonics. i was kind of raised on that brand over the years and figured that was THE meter. well chris comes up and throws me a curve ball and mentions the spectra. i did a google and i am impressed with its specs.

again thank you...

• Premium Member
yeah i know this topic should have been posted to death but my search for "best light meter" and "light meter" came up with posts thaat were over a year old. of course i could have missed something newer but that was my results.

im shocked you guys have not mentioned the sekonics. i was kind of raised on that brand over the years and figured that was THE meter. well chris comes up and throws me a curve ball and mentions the spectra. i did a google and i am impressed with its specs.

again thank you...

Those older posts are still relevant. Most lightmeters are built to last a long time. They're not like digital cameras that become obsolete after a year or two. You don't necessarily have to have the greatest latest.

In terms of Sekonic being "THE" meter, there is no such thing as one great, perfect meter, for all people and situations. It is a personal thing. Many top notch cinematographers who I respect greatly use the Sekonics and love them, while there are other equally respected cinematographers who prefer other meters. I personally am not a fan of the Sekonic combo meters, but this is just my personal preference. I like having two separate meters. In case one breaks on set, I have only broken one meter instead of 2. Kind of a negative way of thinking I admit, but I have found two meters that work for me.

• Premium Member
I personally am not a fan of the Sekonic combo meters, but this is just my personal preference. I like having two separate meters. In case one breaks on set, I have only broken one meter instead of 2. Kind of a negative way of thinking I admit, but I have found two meters that work for me.

I'm the same. I also think the Sekonics are just too expensive.

My current meter is a Minolta Autometer Vf and I love it to death.

• Premium Member
hi

i hold sekonic for 10 years now

only the combo ones (408, 508 ,608)

the L-608cine is one great toll very easy to work with.

he never let me down even in hard conditions

i just love the all in one :)

Hi,

I use a Sekonic 508, just as basic one. I always guess the exposure first & I am within 1/2 stop 99% of the time, actually very easy.

Stephen

thanks all for the replies.

i know full well the older posts are relevant; i was not trying to imply that were not. there have been a few models come out on the scene and i wanted to see if anyone had any opinions.

again in regards to sekonic, thats all i have known so thats why i thought it was a staple in the industry. i am not a DP nor do i play one on TV, so i dont really keep up with light meters.

i really appreciate the posts and for you guys taking time to add your seasoned opinions. the spectra looks very nice and am really considering going that route.

again thanks all....

Hi,

I use a Sekonic 508, just as basic one. I always guess the exposure first & I am within 1/2 stop 99% of the time, actually very easy.

Stephen

Hey stephen,

Do you look down the lens?

I've seen and heard of seasoned dp's letting the light hit their hand and making an accurate judgement...but you've really got trust yourself!!

Also, its knowing the photometrics of your lights and distances.....

• Premium Member
Hey stephen,

Do you look down the lens?

I've seen and heard of seasoned dp's letting the light hit their hand and making an accurate judgement...but you've really got trust yourself!!

Also, its knowing the photometrics of your lights and distances.....

Hi Serge,

It's a bit of everything, working outside you just need to look at the clouds! Once you have used lights a couple of times you have a very good idea how bright are. You just need to know how bright one light is and eyeball the rest.

I have been on shoots when I only took a reading to make the director & agency seem comfortable, I did not bother to actually read the meter just called the stop. ;)

Stephen

While we are at the topic...

Not wanting to open a new thread.

I am wondering about power consuption.

The 1.5V AA powered Minolta V says 30 Hours Continuous operation

for ambient light/incident light measurement.

For the Kenko equivalent (KFM 1100, same AA battery) 50 Hours.

I have an eye also for a Sekonic L-358 using CR123 battery and

exept for extended battery life ( cause lithium battery),

i does not quote any hours or such.

Just trying to balance between battery life, availability

and cost...

Any thoughts?

Regards

Igor

Edited by Igor Trajkovski

this is the only lightmeter i ever had, and i can only highly recomend it.

what i like about it is it's simplicity, in contrary to those flashy ones with way too many things to be set wrong unnoticed.

it also seems to be very rugged, i think mine dates back to the early 90s and still is in perfect working condition.

the only downside is the batteries, they are rather expensive.

ProIVA.jpg

Edited by Alex Haspel

• Premium Member
this is the only lightmeter i ever had, and i can only highly recomend it.

what i like about it is it's simplicity, in contrary to those flashy ones with way too many things to be set wrong unnoticed.

it also seems to be very rugged, i think mine dates back to the early 90s and still is in perfect working condition.

the only downside is the batteries, they are rather expensive.

ProIVA.jpg

Then don't pay for them yourself. Put a couple on your expendables order for every job.

I rely primarily on a Minolta Spot F, but I always keep a Spectra Pro close by. I've had excellent experiences with both, and with a little searching, can be had for under 200. Remember, when you buy analog, always get it from a reputable source. Ebay is good for cheap deals, but you never know how accurate they can be.

Best,

BR

• Premium Member
I rely primarily on a Minolta Spot F, but I always keep a Spectra Pro close by. I've had excellent experiences with both, and with a little searching, can be had for under 200. Remember, when you buy analog, always get it from a reputable source. Ebay is good for cheap deals, but you never know how accurate they can be.

Best,

BR

Analog or digital, I wouldn't use it for anything important without sending it to quality light metric for proper calibration first.