EX-3 is 4:2:2 SDI out

Jason Davenport

• Premium Member

I do find it quite amusing when people tie themselves up in very complicated knots over this sort of thing. If it's 4:2:2 adjacent pairs of pixels will have the same hue value and if it's 8-bit padded out to ten they'll have values which are always a multiple of four. All of this is verifiable in Photoshop in about ten seconds flat and I don't see what all the fuss is about!

P

I do find it quite amusing when people tie themselves up in very complicated knots over this sort of thing. If it's 4:2:2 adjacent pairs of pixels will have the same hue value and if it's 8-bit padded out to ten they'll have values which are always a multiple of four. All of this is verifiable in Photoshop in about ten seconds flat and I don't see what all the fuss is about!

P

Hi Phil

Jim Arthurs here has some pictures

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdcam-ex-c...html#post940422

Can you confirm if it is true ten bit 4:2:2

:)

I would hesitate to make any claims based on images I didn't generate.

I certainly can't evaluate whether it's 10-bit from an 8-bit image!

Usually consumer stuff like this has 8-bit 4:2:2 output.

P

Yes, sorry my mistake. Have you seen this?

http://www.convergent-design.com/index.html

Quite an exciting addition to the already brilliant EX-1 :)

The live HD-SDI feed coming out of the EX1 & EX3 is a true 10-bit signal. It is truncated to 8-bit when recorded to a card, so if one plays back material off the card it will be 8-bit padded to 10-bit. But live from the camera is absolutely true 10-bit.

Phil, this is straight from the specs and we have confirmed this is the truth. I know you have a great deal of knowledge on many things, but please don't make statements of a factual nature without first checking the facts themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Pardon me, but I have made no statements about this particular camera whatsoever.

I assume you're referring to "Usually consumer stuff like this..." which is entirely true, regardless of what this particular item does.

P

[i do find it quite amusing when people tie themselves up in very complicated knots over this sort of thing./quote]

Hey Phil, What do you know about the CineAlta XD Cam XE series. I find it amusing this forum placed this camera here as you qualify it as prosumer. As a newer member I find you to be no help to this thread. Someone with nearly 6000 post here I can't help but wonder if this is a place for professional or not.

Michael Palmer

• Premium Member

Phil is most certainly a real professional with quite a lot of insight. He can come off as blunt, sometimes, but honestly he is a much needed, in my eyes, vocal critic and "but," person who has helped many users, including myself, through issues.