LA Feature Film Academy

Viviana Glz

• Premium Member
So i found this Academy, but im not clear about how it works

is it like an university? of what i could understand, its in relative short period of time

can anyone help me? i would like to know more about this academy

Thanks

Wow. I've never heard of this outfit. Nice pics on the website! Definitely not like a university. No details about the school are available on the site, no faculty, not even the length of the program. Why don't they have a catalog of classes?

Interesting idea though. Get some office space on a lot and rent some pros to teach when they're not working, a stage and some editing bays for a few days and call it a school? Maybe it's more legit than that, but I think they need to be more transparent about what it is they are actually offering.

Good luck,

Bruce Taylor

• Premium Member

I enquired and they sent me an email with a link to their application and price list. Oh my goodness. A half year of whatever they are selling goes for 15 to 20k, if you get one of their "50% off" grants. They mostly seem to be selling "screen credits." 15k gets a "standard" credit, 20k gets a "premium" credit. The operative idea they are selling seems to be if you buy a screen credit, you will have a career in the movies. I think most people will figure it out that it doesn't make much sense.

The local community college here in Los Angeles (LACC) has an excellent cinema department. They have their own soundstages and all the stuff that goes into them. Professors that also teach at very expensive private schools. A full time student will be out $180 a semester for tuition, or $720 for the whole 2 year program. They even have a track record of students that went on to write, direct and edit features I've heard of.

Like the old saying goes, there's one born every minute.

Bruce

I enquired and they sent me an email with a link to their application and price list. Oh my goodness. A half year of whatever they are selling goes for 15 to 20k, if you get one of their "50% off" grants. They mostly seem to be selling "screen credits." 15k gets a "standard" credit, 20k gets a "premium" credit. The operative idea they are selling seems to be if you buy a screen credit, you will have a career in the movies. I think most people will figure it out that it doesn't make much sense.

The local community college here in Los Angeles (LACC) has an excellent cinema department. They have their own soundstages and all the stuff that goes into them. Professors that also teach at very expensive private schools. A full time student will be out $180 a semester for tuition, or $720 for the whole 2 year program. They even have a track record of students that went on to write, direct and edit features I've heard of.

Like the old saying goes, there's one born every minute.

Bruce

wow, thanks!..yeah it still doesnt make much sense to me either..

but thanks for the info!

and about the LACC, ill definetely check it out..do you know what other schools, academys, or universities are good?(in cinema)

thank you so much!

• Premium Member

Every school is different. Some are better than others, but this is not necessarily how to look at it. Rather, figure out which school is the best fit. My advice is to figure out what you want to study and what town you want to live in. If you are planning on living and working in Los Angeles, then I would spend a week or so and visit every filmschool in southern california that you might be interested in. There is UCLA, USC, Chapman, AFI, Loyola Marymount. These are the MFA programs and some are also BFA.

Brookes Institute of Photography has a Bachelor of Science degree (I'm not sure about Masters degree).

There are a couple others that offer different types of programs like the one year programs (NYFA and LA filmschool).

Go to all of these and don't just talk to the tour guides. Ask the students about the program. Since they are not being paid by the school, they will give you a more accurate and less biased view of the program

Education is a marathon, not a sprint. Don't rush into this. Make sure you give you self enough time to properly evaluate all of your options.