What aspect ratio seems most natural to you?

Benson Marks

2.40, by being more exaggerated in the horizontal, does call more attention to the frame itself in relation to the subject, with the potential for stronger use of negative space when shooting vertical subjects, whereas 1.85, being closer to a square, can allow more neutral or classical harmonies, more balance, in more situations. But it just depends on your taste. But I don't think it is a question of naturalism or realism since the frame itself is one of the least realistic aspects of cinematography, composing within fixed borders is an act of artifice.

I think you're right. It probably does depend on what my tastes are and what I think would enhance the art I'm trying to convey, but you do make a good argument that neither are realistic, which is also true (Our eyes are circles, not rectangles). I think I'll take the time to give this some thought, too.

• Premium Member

I've written about this before, but I think "realism" is a bit of a mental trap for an artist to fall into. We make art. "Realism" is merely another artificial style we apply to our art to serve our goals better, to tell certain stories in the most appropriate manner.

Sometimes "realism" can be more false or misleading or dishonest than a more theatrical or Expressionistic style. In other words, realism and honesty are not the same thing in art. I'd be more concerned about capturing the "truth" of the subject, story, and setting than notions of what is objectively real or not.

Just like in painting, the technically accurate recreation of a subject is only a starting point for a beginning artist.

• Premium Member
Just like in painting, the technically accurate recreation of a subject is only a starting point for an beginning artist.

And just like a painting, sometimes you are not looking for an accurate recreation. Then again, what IS an accurate recreation. I say it's nothing more than the artists vision. There is no accurate definition. I think Pablo Picasso Portrait of Dora Maar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dora_Maar_au_Chat) sold for $50 mill last time around. Not the most accurate portrait in terms of strict defintiikon, but then again perspective, like with aspect ratio is in the artists vision. You don't have to agree with it. It can't be right or wrong, just what works for you.