not so sharp?

kishor karki

• Premium Member
hello, i have a query about si2k. can anyone working with the cam suggest me that i'm getting pretty soft images with the cam. is it to do with the cam sensor or the optics?? i was using s16 8-64 zoom lens.

thank you.

Hi,

Could you post an image? 2k Bayer is fairly soft the SI looks the same as the RED @ 2K IMHO.

Stephen

Make sure that the lens is colomated to the SI-2K. When I first got mine I borrowed a few lenses off a mates Aaton and they all looked a bit soft. Turns out that while both the camera's mounts were within specs they were slightly different and this caused some softness. I think with a zoom this would be even more of a problem.

Yes, the SI-2K does not have the 'video sharpness' of other HD cameras but you can always dial in detail sharpness in post if you like that look - but that wont help if the lens is soft.

Are you judging the soft look on the camera monitor/viewfinder or in post at full rez?

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is just a characteristic of the SI2K. After all it's a 2K camera which in 16:9 is not that much different from 1080. When you throw the Bayer in, it gets even closer if not lower. From what I have seen from the SI2K it's not sharper than the Sony EX1 or EX3. I would actually say it may be softer than these cameras.

Having said that, if it is really soft, like almost SD soft, it may be the lens. If you are using and old C mount 16m lens you probably won't get all the sharpness the camera can produce.

Edited by Michael Maier

Keep in mind the Sony cameras have in-camera sharpening, where-as we do not (this would be counter-productive to sharpen RAW, even during the RAW decode, since sharpening is irreversible). If you want to reduplicate that in-camera sharpening effect, you will have to sharpen in post.

From my experience with cameras like the F900, HDC-1500, etc., a similar "softness" can be achieved with the Sony cameras that allow you to turn the sharpness all the way off.

• 3 months later...

The SI 2k looks a but to me like a glorified hpx500 or hdx900...it has a panny look.

But, I saw Slumdog in theaters and the camera not only looked soft, it looked extremely noisy as well. Noisy in shadows and midtones, I even saw pixels firing to white and back. It was strange.