Creating Files for D-Cinema on a PC?

Bernhard Zitz

Hi,

is it possible to diy files (image plus sound) that can be played on a d-cinema server with 2k projector etc? Can I create such files on a regular PC or Mac with available software?

If yes, how?

I guess it has to be JPEG2000, but in what shell? And the sound? Can such a server read quicktime?

cheers, Bernhard

• Premium Member

As I understand it, it's JPEG2000 in MXF, but MXF is such a complete disaster of a format that figuring out exactly how it wants things presented could be a real pain in the neck. I would be interested to see if (for instance) the FFmpeg project guys would be interested in looking at it; they would of course need paying to do so.

I suspect measures will be very carefully taken by the entities involved to ensure that DCP mastering is kept as difficult, exclusive, and expensive as possible, both because the labs have a lot of printmaking revenue to cover and to ensure that it can be used as a way of controlling the market.

The simple answer is that I am not aware that tools currently exist to do this on the desktop and it is probably not very simple to create them. They could probably be built out of preexisting JPEG2000 and MXF libraries, but you're talking about C++ code and access to expensive standards documentation, as well as probably having to sign up to difficult, restrictive licensing agreements.

Some servers may be able to play quicktime movies back; I created a "mini screen server" hardware and software package as a custom item for a small, non-chain movie theatre specifically because they wanted that ability, but I wouldn't assume it. It's certainly not in the DCP spec.

P

Thanks Sam, looks like a solution.

Here I found the user guide for wraptor http://www.quvis.com/?Action=Support

Common 2k D-cinema resolutions: 2048x1080 (full container), 2048x858(Scope), 1998x1080(Flat), 1998x836(Scope on Flat) and 1558x858 (Flat on Scope)

I guess pixels are square and for regular 1.85 it's 1998x1080 ?

cheers, Bernhard

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I had my thesis on stereoscopic cinematography screened on a local theater in 2k D-CINEMA. They guy who makes the conversions said he tested that Qvis Raptor and it didn't play at all. Maybe someone else has got it to work...

So I guess there is no working solution yet, but theoretically it would be possible to "author" the file with a notepad. There are also a lot of open-source libraries and simple example GUI's that make MXF wrappers.

I'm going to get my DCP back, so I can look what's inside the MXF.