getting started as an AC

So i wanted to know, im a young DP/AC, i've done mostly cheap short films (film and video) and one or two commercials, and i've worked also as a 1st and 2nd AC, i want to work in LA or NY, im not located in the US (actually i'm in Buenos Aires, Argentina), what would be the best possible way to find work in the US, with today current situation, i mean work in a camera crew, as anything from videassist to serve coffe, how does one settle in the US to work in either films or commercials to work my way in the ranks to be a DP in the US.

Also i constantly read about the new cameras that i dont have acces to, as the genesis, arri d-21, and try to stay in touch with the latest products in film and video.

Hope i explained myself cause my english grammar is a little rusty.

Juan Pablo Ramirez

1st and 2nd AC.

Buenos Aires, Argentina/Guatemala, Guatemala.

• 2 weeks later...

Ay, pobre Juan Pablo, nadie te respondió!

Well, first of all, if you know someone in the US who can usher you into the camera dept. on a few shows, that would be your best chance of getting work.

You can get in touch with some rental houses to see if they're hiring any rental assistants. If you can nail a job somewhere, you can learn about the equipment while also making some connections with DP's and AC's in the area.

Otherwise, you'll have to move to the area, get a day job and just try to work on as many shoots as possible in between. Whether it be for free or low pay, so long as your making connections, it can all be worth it eventually.