Settings for hdcam 750

Quinn Evan Reimann

Hi everyone...! (First-time poster, so please be gentle...)

This is the set-up: HD-Cam 750 at 25p, P+S Adapter with Zeiss Mk-II's... Generally the production's idea is to shoot available light... As a Gaffer on this film I've got a low-budget arsenal of HMI's and Flo's to make life easier... But... As an experienced DP, I'm sure my team is steering towards some jagged cliffs that could sink "our" boat if we don't pay attention during production...

Okay, I'm asking for some help with regards to Camera-Settings for a 750-Setup with prospects for a Film-out, but the need for a good HD-Master as well... I know, it's like asking for a blond and a brunette and some GI-Jane girl at the same time... But...

What about detail..? My suggestion is to go -99, you can always add detail later (sorry for the focus assist...)

And what about the curves..? Master/Step-Gamma, Black Gamma, Knee Point..? I don't think the STD's or FILM settings are courageous enough... Post-Guys???, if I tweak the toe, knee and stuff in such a way that I can record more "range" on tape, are you happier..? Is this the ideal situation..? Soft blacks, lowered knee and stretched mid-range..? Or should I be tame and let everything be tweaked later..? What I've learned is that in HD-Cam World, you gotta get as close to what you want, but don't do anything too crazy that can't be tamed in post... Film is more forgiving as you know...

Got some advise and settings to let me sleep well at night...?

Thanks for your support...

Quinn.